Well, I have been working on this project for a little while now, the good portion of the summer. This is my first try at doing a bent form project. I was inspired after seeing Ken Dixon’s project from last year as seen here.
I found a really nice piece of curly maple lumber online that I was going to use for the project. It was about the right size and 5/4” to give me some wiggle room. I have never used any curly wood like this before so I was pretty nervous to start cutting into it!
The first piece I made was the form for the main arch of the guitar. It’s out of ¾” mdf. I learned that I probably need to be using a male/female form but I was able to fix any issues so it worked out.
I went through and drilled out the holes for the clamps so that the form would be able to apply the force perpendicular to the face of the wood. Later on I tried a difference method that worked much much better than this but what can you do, lol.
Getting ready to cut the strips up, the last view of the board before it got chopped up!
For all of my glue ups I am using a two part resin/hardener glue for a harder set and a longer working time during glue up. Unibond 800 is the name I think, I bought it a while back so I’m not 100% confident on that. After a good amount of struggling I got the piece all clamped up and ready to sit for the night.
So the piece came out pretty good! The form like I said could have been a little bit better but overall it’s not too bad. This is I made a small modification to it and I had finished doing some sanding.
After this initial cleanup of the main piece, I decided that it was a little too wide and ripped off just a little under ¼” off of its width and much happier with the results. I don’t have any pics of it at the moment but it’ll show up more later on in the build. Next installment will included the other main two piece of the form!
-- - Still a new guy to the craft, but always striving to learn more