Ok, now for the actual building of the eyebrow windows. This is where we left off. Remember that the side pieces are 3/8” plywood 43” tall, 1 1/2” at the bottom tapered to 33” at the top.
After attaching the side pieces, I was able to measure around the circumference of the arch and determine the length of the top pieces. I used 3/8” bendy board (flex-core) and cut a slight angle on each end where it attaches to the plywood on the sides. The bendy board goes from 33” on each end to 43” out in the very center. I again radiused this off the template furnished by our installers. I then glued the bendy board to the plywood with titebond III glue and attached a cargo strap to pull it tight to the plywood and also to keep it tight to the form itself. (If you look closely in the center of the side pieces you can see the hole in the support where I placed the hooks). When the glue was dry, I took off the strap and attached a 5” piece of 3/8” plywood over the joint. I used laminate glue to attach this piece and used some 5/8” staples at an angle to hold the bendy board and plywood together for support.
I then re-attached the cargo strap and and used some Bondo to strengthen the bendy board. After the first one was done, we sent it out to the jobsite to check the fit before making the others.
After the first one was test fitted on site, I made a slight change to the others. I decided not to use bondo since it took so much and was very time consuming. I cut 5” wide strips of 1/8” masonite and used contact cement to glue them on the bendy board. I put a total of 3 around each arch and this was very sturdy and kept the arch solid. You can see in the following picture the piece that I added to the top of our first window. I attached the others where I had used the Bondo on the original.
And here is the completed window ready for the veneer.
Next: applying the veneer.
-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps