Ok, where were we…
Headboard joinery is wrapped up at this point and it’s time for the sideboards (as I’m calling them.)
The sideboards attached with some connector bolts and cross-dowels/barrels a la a bed bolt setup. I didn’t want to rely on a 1/4” bolt alone to hold the weight of the mattress, frame, and the little one so a added a stubby tenon to the lower rail to carry the load with the bed bolts holding the joint tight.
I used the same router jig for the shallow mortises that mate the stub tenons. I never thought I’d get as much “joy” out of a jig that does exactly what you need it to, but man that’s a satisfying feeling!
Next step was to work on the shoulder muscles in my right arm as I manned the drill press for the better part of a day. I ganged all the parts together for the layout and with the help of set of dividers I stepped off the layout. Using the a scrap block, I drilled a sample and transferred the layout to the fence. A couple hours later… VOILA!
Now, it was just a matter of measuring “reality” for the dowels and cutting them to size. I should also mention I had a little mishap boring. Dad just recently purchased his drill press (he got a pretty great deal this summer, wish I’d have bought one too!) and this was the first time it had really been put through the paces. Well, the stop had two bolts that keep affixed to the body, and they were snug, but not really tight so few of the holes ended up an 1/8” deeper than necessary. No damage done, just glad we caught it before it ruined a piece on this or a later project! After that issue was fixed, I laid out and drilled for the threaded inserts and bed bolts.
Headboard dry fit
Rinse, lather, repeat for the sideboards…
As you can see I’m a few dowels short… I bought all the local box store had in stock, and they haven’t replaced the inventory on that item in a month. My uncle was in the great town of Lawrence, KS for a game in Allen Fieldhouse last weekend and picked up the balance of dowels for me so, I’ll get them cut this weekend and I can start of surface prep… I think. Well, that catches us up to where I’m at in real time!
I’ve been working on a schedule for this spring to get this bad boy finished and I’m hoping for Mid-April, but probably have a couple extra weeks if need be… I’ll try and update again after I’ve made some substantial progress with the finishing (Tried & True Oil / Low VOC white paint) or with the mattress frame construction. Thanks for following along!
-- Byer-- "Comparison is the thief of joy" -- T.R. Roosevelt