So after a much needed shop cleaning, I started the mortises for the beam supports. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to just go at it with a chisel or use the mortiser. Still up in the air about that as I’d really like to get this finished so we can enjoy it in the yard. There’s still a lot of sanding and finishing to do. However I did complete one this afternoon using the drill press and chisel method.
I first made a template to help with layout and then hogged out the mortises on the drill press. This went pretty well with a decent fit for the support.
The process in pics.
Tomorrow I think I’m going to try the mortiser to see if I can expedite this process a bit.
-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn :)