I wasn’t getting much shop time over the last few weeks due to my Dad’s health and issues. He’s somewhat better and holding his own thankfully, so I’ve had some time this week to get back here and work on a few little projects.
I’ve been wanting to install the Wynn filter I bought for the DC and make a cyclone of sorts, so that’s just what I did. I had a 15g fiber drum hanging around and some Dustrite fittings I purchased for this, so that’s what I used. There’s an internal elbow that directs the flow in a centrifugal, which seems to be working well. The clear bag is empty save some dust that must have been residual from the hoses and connections. All of the chips and dust I’ve created since, have accumulated in the Rubbermaid can. I may have to add an internal baffle, but for now it is working and the flow is much better than the dirty cloth bag allowed for. I also made a hook for some shop vac hoses I use to clean up with the DC.
I have also needed some additional lumber storage for hardwood stock. An easy project made with 2×4s and some 3/4” EMT conduit.
There was time for a few little projects. I’ve been wanting a smaller mallet for chisel work, so I used up some scraps for this. It’s the right size and just what I wanted, but here’s an example of what happens when your head isn’t fully in the game when you have other things on your mind. I laid out all of the pieces, orienting the end grain for the impact zone and then I cut the blank the wrong way so now it’s the edge grain hitting the chisel handle. Not a huge error in terms of material or even use, but I was unhappy I made such a stupid error, none the less. After I realized my error, I didn’t spend much time in sanding and finishing it. I’ll make another down the road.
The last little project was a sharpening template. It works well with the LN sharpening jig, allowing me to hold it and the chisel or plane iron in one hand and set and tighten the jig with the other. I have to say, my chisels and irons are doing much better :)
I’m making a prototype of a step stool I’ve seen here on LJs and a modified version of it I found on the net. I’m making the modified version, for now, out of some poplar. I purchased some cherry and walnut for the finish piece. The wife didn’t approve of the last design and realized she wanted one that folds. LOL The prototype will stay here in the shop after I get the final go-ahead on the design.
Here’s the design.
Here’s my progress today.
Well that’s the state of the shop as of today.
Edit: I also made this port for the DC that services the miter saw. Used to just leave the hose on the ground and then pull it around and hook it up to the DC. This is a much nicer solution.
-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn :)