Yesterday, New Years Eve day, I had a few hours to spend in the shop to finish up some stuff and organize for the beginning of the new year. It’s been difficult getting all the time in the shop I’d like with the holidays here and having two very elderly parents who now have a lot of need of assistance, but it’s all good as long as they’re still here.
I finally completed the miter saw station to the point where it’s fully functioning with the fence system, all drawers in place and finished up a dust collection hood. The dust collection hood became a bit of a Rube Goldberg. Doing things without a plan on paper and lots on your mind is just a recipe for trouble. I took measurements of the Bosch, but somewhere along the way to completion, I got lost in the weeds. I made some pretty big errors in my measurements and well, the saw and the hood weren’t going to work together. My dimensions were way off so I had butcher it up a bit to eliminate the top, which seems pretty consequential. The hood is also a bit shallower from front to back than I originally intended, but well, the dust collection is actually pretty impressive for making such a screwup. I may, down the road, make another, but other than bruising my ego a bit, it works as intended. Not sure it could be much better.
Here’s a few pics of the finished miter saw station and the dust hood. I’ll post a video of it in action when time permits.
The dust collection is provided by a single slot on the bottom and at the back of the hood. I made an internal baffle that funnels the dust to the 4” port on the bottom of the enclosure. When the DC is running, there’s a perceptible breeze created by the 5/8” x 24” slot.
Since the DC has a Siamese connection, I’ll leave one section of hose connected to the miter saw hood and just cap the Siamese when not in use.
The finished station. Need to put some edge banding on the hood to protect the plywood veneer from chipping off.
I also had the opportunity to set up the HF dust collector that had been sitting in my basement for the past two weeks or so. I got to use it while finishing up the dust hood. It’s doing a very respectable job. It’s a short run from the collector to the table saw and even shorter distance to the miter saw. At this point in time, for the size of the shop and the idea that it will be used with just one machine attached at a time, it’s pretty much all I need at the moment. I received a Wynn filter and will be installing it along with separator when time permits. That should pretty much take care of my needs until I move into my own permanent shop, when ever that will be.
I finally got to reassemble the Grizzly bandsaw I pick up off of CL. The saw was separated from the base and was getting pushed around the shop on a furniture dolly for the past month. Just didn’t have time to deal with it until yesterday. I couldn’t lift it alone to get it onto the base, so I laid it down on it’s side, fastened it to the base and tilted it upright. It’s now in it’s intended spot in the shop. It needs some cleaning and tuning. I’ll get to that soon, but probably after finishing an outfeed/cabinets table for the table saw.
I moved most of the tools to where I think they’ll work best for me, hung up an air hose reel ( was tired of tripping over the 20’ hose I had been using ) and cleaned an organized. I’m ready to start off the new year with a mostly functioning shop :)
Just a few pics around the shop.
The last thing I want to tackle before starting on a real workbench is turning the small room into an office of sorts. I’ll be cutting an opening into the larger shop space and placing a fixed plexiglass panel in it for some natural light. Install a standard slop sink in place of the large shower pan turned slop sink and bring in a small drafting table and fridge for some coldies :)
-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn :)