Well, it happened again. I don’t know if I’m too optimistic, trusting, cheap, or stupid. After my earlier troubles with getting wet wood, I found a different person that cuts wood. (earlier guy kiln dried, the put wood back outside, uncovered, which ended up sucking up lots of moisture again) A coworker heard me complaining, and gave me a friend’s information. I called him nearly three months ago, told him my problems I’d had with wet wood, and he told me not to worry, he stores all his wood indoors after kiln drying to keep it all nice and dry. He didn’t have any 8/4 walnut, but was cutting the next day – so he agreed to cut 9/4 for me to plane down to exactly 2” (wood to be used for front and back legs, and arm rests).
I finally picked up the wood two weeks ago, and his moisture meter read between 8-10 percent. I brought it home, started cutting, and my bandsaw would just not go through it. I realized after cutting the blanks for both front legs (which I did wrong anyway, but that’s a different story, still usable though), both arm rests, and one back leg that the wood was sopping wet. So wet that when I brought it to a friend’s place to use his moisture meter it errored out as “out of range”. Two weeks has passed – almost – and the wood isn’t moving (cross fingers and toes!), but I do have some checking on the arm rests. If it’s minor enough I may be able to live with it, but I’m just frustrated – again. I was trying hard to avoid paying full retail price for 8/4 walnut – which can get expensive! All I ended up doing is giving myself more headaches.
So, the wood has continued drying on my stack of lumber in the basement. It’s pretty dry down there. But this weekend I’ll hopefully be getting my dehumidifier out of storage, build a small plastic tent around it, and put my wood in there to dry out in a make-shift pseudo-kiln. I’ll be getting the moisture out with a tube from the dehumidifier.
On to a slightly more positive note: I’ve been working on the seat a bit lately. I cut out the notches for the legs (minus the rabbet – bit is in the mail). I also cut the front contour, and started hogging out the seat pan. Remember, this is still quite rough, but I’m mostly happy with how it’s turning out. My glue-joint between the top layer and the maple isn’t the greatest, so I’ll have to get creative to hid it a little better.
I almost forgot, for the front leg joint, I didn’t want to make another jig. If I were to make lots of chairs it would be useful, but I figured for such a simple operation, no jig was necessary. Instead, I just cut the front leg joint like the back – with the table saw. It took a lot of measuring and testing on scrap wood, but once I got the right dimensions I cut the front and back margins, then just moved the seat over and removed the material one kerf at a time. I cleaned it up with a chisel and then some sandpaper.
Anyway, here are some more pictures:
-- Ryan -- Maple Grove, MN