We finally got around to finishing the family room off the kitchen with cherry paneling and beams. Here is the process.
The room was a typical finish with a fireplace and a small mantle. I started with building the fireplace surround.
I used 3/4” cherry for everything except the backing. That is 1/4 inch cherry ply. Gradually, things began to take shape.
Then it was up the wall. The ducks you see are paper cutouts of some intarsias I made that can be seen in the last photos of this series. The patterns are from Judy Gale Roberts.
Time to start the ceiling beams. This was a lot of exacting work, but it turned out great. First, I installed some supporting structure.
Then, it was a matter of building out all the beams.
Finally, Time for the finish.
All in all, this was a great project. Challenging and very rewarding. Took about 3 weeks to complete, not including the intarsia. What a difference it made in the room!
-- Cats, beer and wood...perfect.