LumberJocks

Fixing botched quadrilinear legs.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bsherman posted 12-23-2009 06:42 AM 3707 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I had some unexpected success fixing a screwup when making quadrilinear legs for my Harvey Ellis Bed project.

The 1st 4 legs that I made got ruined for a couple of different reasons.

On my second attempt, the joints didn’t close all the way on one of the legs.
I really didn’t want to start a 9th leg attempt, so I tried to fix it.

I set the tablesaw to 45 degrees and ran an 8th inch dado down the joints, and stuck some scraps in the dados.

If I knew how good this would have turned out, I would have taken more time to match the wood. I was about 99% sure this would not work and was pretty frazzled. Some closeups below.

Open joint
dado
shims


-- Brian



4 comments so far

View Silvo's profile

Silvo

19 posts in 1802 days


#1 posted 12-23-2009 09:53 AM

I truly believe that one of the greatest testaments to one’s skill is not just the degree of difficultly in the task that someone can accomplish but how well they can hide their mistakes along the way.

View bsherman's profile

bsherman

76 posts in 2224 days


#2 posted 12-23-2009 02:24 PM

Thanks Brian. I’ll try the “stickley method” if I do this again. The “authors method” would show at the tapers, which is one way I messed up my 1st set of legs. (That was really more of taper cutting screw up on my part.)

I thought it would be simpler to just make flat cuts as I had seen in other articles, but that just transfers your challenge to the glue up phase. Which sounds like a good wood working rule, “Never transfer your challenge to the glue up phase.”

-- Brian

View bsherman's profile

bsherman

76 posts in 2224 days


#3 posted 12-23-2009 02:37 PM

Agreed Silvo. Mistakes can be a good challenge.

-- Brian

View CaptainSkully's profile

CaptainSkully

1190 posts in 2255 days


#4 posted 12-23-2009 05:54 PM

Nice fix! I had a similar problem with the legs on my Limbert lamp table. I’ve switched to a lock miter joint, clamped with bungee, so hopefully it won’t be a problem on the dining room table legs. Thanks for the info.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase