I haven’t really taken any vacation time this year so I decided to take a 4 day woodworking staycation. Hopefully the late will be complete at the end of it! With nothing else to do today, I made some great progress.
I started the day by finishing up the cross brace on the end. It probably seems like nothing, but cutting mortises in 4”x4” posts takes up a lot of time. Saint Roy’s plans call for this brace to be a simple 2×4, but since I am increasing the mass of the flywheel some (and because I had leftovers) I decided to beef up the brace to a 4×4 post. Getting the mortises and tenons for the triangular beams has been the biggest pain in my butt so far on this project. I probably spent a good hour and a half today just trimming and fitting to make this piece. I also went back and but a nice little beveled edge on the top surface of the bottom beams.
With that brace complete, the basic frame was done! So I started working on the tail stock. Again, Roy’s plans call for a 2×4 but since I had 4×4 scrap I wasn’t doing anything with, I decided to use that instead. The stock has a through mortise that when combined with a tapered peg solidly grips the lathe.
Now that these pieces are complete, the lathe is starting to finally take shape!
Up next, hardware and the flywheel!
-- Brian - Belmont, Massachusetts