The basic frame for my saw till couldn’t be simpler: four pieces of 10” wide poplar. The bottom is simply screwed into the sides and the top is attached with recessed figure 8s.
To support the saws, I created two levels of slotted crossbars. They are mortised into the sides of the carcase. I cut repetitive slots across them to allow me to insert a saw into them. Through trial and error I decided that having a slot every two inches gave me just enough room to store the saws and still get my hand in there to pull one out. I then built a 2 1/2” high support along the bottom of the case to force the saws to sit at a tilt. As explained previously, I keep my saws with the teeth pointed outwards. During the planning stage I noticed that doing so allowed me to position the saws at a higher angle than I would have been able to do had the teeth been pointed inwards.
Once I got the basic case together I used my trusty Stanley 48 plane to put together a series of tongue and groove back panels.
Trust me, by the end of it I was a sweaty mess.
I then mounted the panels and screwed them into the carcase, allowing a little room for expansion and contraction. My shop is in a basement, so it stays somewhat stable year-round, but there is still more variability than I would have liked.
I then put everything in for a test-fit….
Now I just need to get up off my butt and go buy some more poplar to fashion the doors then time to fashion mounts for my saw vise, files, and sets!
-- Brian - Belmont, Massachusetts