I changed the overall dimensions of the bench to accommodate a top that is two feet by four feet. My shop is pretty small so I’m trying to make everything more compact.
My first task with the new bench was to create the end assemblies. So, I used a German cross cut handsaw (http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/24-Hand-Saw-7-TPI-Cross-Cut-Teeth-Germany/productinfo/520-0600/) I ordered from traditional woodworker and got to work. Once I rough-cut the lumber down, I used my new Stanley #7 plane (bought used and refurb’d it myself) to joint the surfaces and get them ready for gluing.
After I had the legs together I started in on creating the mortise and tennon joints that would join the end assemblies together. Cutting tennons by hand is always an interesting proposition, but after doing a few I think I got the hang of it.
After the dry fit I loosely put things together to see how they would do.
-- Brian - Belmont, Massachusetts