This part was very straight forward, The stretchers were assembled from 3 strips of 3/4” BB glued together with Biscuits to help keep everything aligned. The center strip is 1/2” longer to make a tendon.
Next I made a router template to make the mortises in the legs. At that point it was just a matter of laying them out and cutting them.
While I had the legs out I needed to make clearance slots for the 2 dog holes on each side of the left side leg.
This bench needs to be able to be disassembled (it is bigger than my entry door). As before I was looking at the Benchcrafted parts but did not want to pay the price asked. I looked at the bench bolts at my local Woodcraft store and bought a set. However, because the front left leg is 1 1/2” wider than the other 3 legs I needed a longer bolt and this set uses non-standard threads. So… I took them back and with the help of my uncle (who has a 1/2” – 13 tap and some brass stock) we made 1” x 2” x 1/2” offset bolts.
After some careful drilling on the drill press to make sure the hole was straight and some adjustment we were able to assemble. I used my 30mm Blum hinge bit to make the bolt head recess.
When I assembled the stretchers I made the inside layer 3/4” shorter that the others to make a shelf support. I cut the shelf out in 3 sections because that was what I had left of the BB plywood.
I drilled and lag bolted the top to the legs so now the bones of the bench are completed.
And I have completed the dogs.
Next I need to build the Chop and other leg vise parts. I will be going out to Ralph’s house to get the rest of that Madrone log. That will be next time.
Thanks for looking,
-- Brian Brown, Eugene, OR