So I moved on to making drawers for the desk this weekend. I had some extra Macore stock that I had already cut up and turned out to be just the right size for the sides and back of the drawers, so I was in luck! Since I couldn’t find the directions for the dovetail jig, it took me a little while to set it all up correctly. I finally got everything set up OK.
Unfortunately, as I started up my router for the second dovetail I heard the sound of something shattering and pieces of plastic fell to the floor all around me. I turned off the router and proceeded to try to figure out what I could have possibly just done. After over an hour of head scratching and bewilderment, I discovered that the blades from the internal fan inside the router had broken off. Somehow one of them had broken free and the force of starting up the motor with that blade free inside was enough to take out the rest of them.
So now I am in the market for a new router. The broken one is a 1 3/4HP Porter Cable, which had done me well over the years, although I am somewhat disappointed with the plastic fan—especially since this became the Achilles heel that took out the entire tool. Since I’m in the market already, I think I am going to step it up a bit for my next router. Most of the 2 1/4 HP models come with variable speed control and a system that allows depth adjustment from the top of a router table. I could make good use of both those features. Dust collection would also be nice, but appears to be a bit more unique at this level. I am always forced to ogle at the Festool line for a while—before realizing that I just can’t justify that expense over every other comparable router.
I guess the broken router will give me a chance to sit back and take a bit of a break from this project for a bit. You can’t beat the weather this time of year in the Pacific Northwest!