This is the grand finale. Here I’m doing the final leveling of the top. It was a ton of hand planing and sanding. It’s not perfect but not too bad either. I only sanded to 100 grit, I don’t want a slick surface.
Now onto applying finish. I used a simple mixture of 1/3 MS, 1/3 BLO and 1/3 spar varnish.
Next up is to apply suede to the vise chop and wagon vise and dogs. I used contact cement.
That was the last step and here is the final product.
It has been a long haul, I have been working on this off and on since November. I took time out to make many other projects including most of my Christmas presents and participated in two LJ tool swaps. I’m really thrilled w/ how this turned out and will be putting it to use shortly. I am planning on getting rid of my old bench that has served me well over the last 30 years but is now showing it’s age and has developed the wobbles and is no longer able to claim valuable shop real estate. Thanks for following my blog.
-- Bondo Gaposis