I need a bigger cutting board for my kitchen, so I decided to put my shop to work.
The original sketchup model. I used logarithmic tapering widths for a bit of an illusion.
Bought some soft maple and african mahogany off craigslist for cheap. Maybe not the most ideal woods for a board, but they should work fine for my home kitchen use. I crosscut the boards first to get them to workable size.
After jointing, resawing, and planing the boards to square, I carefully ripped them into varying widths on the table saw.
The first part of the face grain glue-up. The glue was setting quickly, so I did each half separately, then a third glue-up to join the halves. Wish I used some cauls here… the outer strips deformed on me a little.
After the glue-up, I scraped one side pseudo-flat and sent it through the planer.
Crosscutting strips using the sled on my table saw with a stop block.
Laying out the crosscut strips. Looking nice.
The first half of the end grain glue-up. It was hard to align the pieces, some of them slipped a little. Need to build a nice clamping setup for large boards in the future.
The second half of the end grain glue-up.
Scraped the top glue off while it was still soft. The duplicate piece on the left is just a failed strip acting as a clamping caul. After the glue fully cures, the cleanup will begin.
-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)