LumberJocks

Making a Folding/Pocket Knife #2: Working the bolster, improving the locking bar, and adding a spring

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bobasaurus posted 03-20-2013 04:47 AM 1396 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Layout, stock removal, and mechanisms Part 2 of Making a Folding/Pocket Knife series Part 3: Scales and lots of shaping »

My design calls for two thin (.010”) washers around the blade for easy movement. Unfortunately, this spaces things weirdly on the rest of the parts. To get the width more uniform, I tried to epoxy some brass shims to the bolster but the bond didn’t hold up to grinding:

So I tried using some superglue and fixative / fast cure spray (recommended by my father). This worked great:

The parts held up when grinding everything flush. Next I did the superglue trick for shimming my too-loose-fitting lock bar:

After a few tries, I got a good bond and was able to grind the piece flush. I re-filed the bar to fit the blade and it came out really tight:

I then cut a spring and matching slot in the bolster to keep the locking bar tensioned. This serves both to keep the blade open and closed. It took some trial and error to get the tension correct, but it works great now:

-- Allen, Colorado



1 comment so far

View jap's profile

jap

1240 posts in 802 days


#1 posted 03-20-2013 12:04 PM

looking good

-- Joel

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase