LumberJocks

Making a Folding/Pocket Knife #1: Layout, stock removal, and mechanisms

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bobasaurus posted 03-17-2013 07:26 AM 2126 reads 3 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Making a Folding/Pocket Knife series Part 2: Working the bolster, improving the locking bar, and adding a spring »

(This is mostly metalworking, though it does use wooden jigs and scales eventually)

After building a cheap folding knife kit from Woodcraft (which was just making some scales, bolting things together, and sanding/finishing), I became interested in making one myself from scratch. I talked to a coworker who makes knifes and did some internet research before placing an order for lots of knife stuff from Jantz supply:

This includes a flat bar of O1 tool steel for the blade and mechanisms, brass liners and hardware, a jeweler’s saw frame and blades, some buffing compound, epoxy, and a rivet drill bit. I’m going to use the stock removal method to make this knife, which is just a fancy way of saying that I’ll grind the crap out of a chunk of steel until it looks like a knife.

Next was making a design for the blade and mechanics in sketchup:

This will have a lockback mechanism for keeping the blade locked open. Spring tension keeps the hooked locking bar in the blade slot when open, and keeps the knife shut securely when closed. I then laid out the patterns and started cutting the O1 steel bar. As it turns out, tool steel is extremely difficult to cut (who would have thought)... I ended up breaking 3 jeweler’s blades, 2 cutoff discs for the flex shaft grinder, and ruining one scroll saw blade before giving up on that route. At least I got it done eventually:

Next was the rough grinding/shaping/drilling the blade and components. I mainly used my 8” slow-speed grinder and oscillating spindle sander. This also took forever (and burned my fingertips a few times, of course):

I then built a simple jig out of plywood for test-fitting the pieces. Since I’m no expert machinist, I needed to test-fit, remove a little metal, test again, remove more metal, and repeat until the locking/folding mechanisms fit well. This worked pretty well, though the final grind ended up with a slightly sloppy lock (really difficult to get it to fit perfectly):

Since the loose fit was bothering me, I epoxied a shim to the end of the locking bar (we’ll see how it holds up) which is curing right now. I also epoxied one of two shims to the back bolster piece to match the blade washer thickness. Lots more to do tomorrow.

-- Allen, Colorado



2 comments so far

View BTimmons's profile

BTimmons

2123 posts in 1137 days


#1 posted 03-17-2013 04:20 PM

This will be fun to watch. It might not involve woodworking until you put the handle scales on, but I’m sure everyone around here loves sharp shiny things.

-- Brian Timmons - http://www.BigTWoodworks.com

View jap's profile

jap

1228 posts in 706 days


#2 posted 03-18-2013 01:27 AM

very cool project

-- Joel

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase