I’m finally about done with the tool chest. After sanding the inside of the lid smooth, I attached it permanently to the carcass by gluing in strips of matching wood (masking off other areas to protect against glue drops/smears) and sawing/sanding flush:
I then spent forever sanding every corner of this damn thing. Rounding all the edges and de-pointing corners took a while too. I stopped at about 400 grit, then buffed with 0000 steel wool. The turquoise inlay now looks pretty nice with a mineral spirits wipe:
And finally it’s ready for finishing! Here it is sitting in my spare room I use for finishing and glue-ups:
The picture isn’t great, but the wood is quite shiny and looks pretty nice overall. I wish I matched the colors of the walnut strips that make up the bottom a little better, as the abrupt sapwood->heartwood change annoys me a little. Oh well. Now I have to decide what finish to use.
-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)