I finally managed to finish the last part of the carcass assembly by gluing in the vertical divider. It’s looking pretty awesome with everything together (except for the cheap pine plywood, which I’ll cover with some material after finishing):
This weekend, I’ve been spending my time flattening and cutting up a ridiculously twisted and bowed elm board:
This will become the drawer sides. After spending hours and hours with a combination of hand planes, the jointer, and the planer, I finally managed to get some reasonably flat 1/2” elm pieces. Wiping the board with water periodically helped reduce planer tear-out. Next time I’ll buy flatter wood to save some of this effort… I didn’t know what I was getting into with the time and work involved. Here’s one of the nice and flat pieces after planing:
After ripping to width and squaring one end of each strip on my sled, I set up a jury-rigged stop block on the miter saw for cutting all sides to the same length:
The pieces seemed to bow again slightly after being ripped, so I clamped all the final cut drawer sides together to hopefully let them stabilize a bit while the last of my planer-wiped water dries:
Now I have to do a similar process for the fronts/backs of the drawers. The piece of maple I have for them is much straighter, thankfully.
-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)