One of the bookmatched side panels of the chest had a large knothole that needed filling. I’ve seen lots of neat stone inlay here on lumberjocks and wanted to give it a try. My Dad found some crushed turquoise and fancy epoxy at a jewelry supply store, and I bought some bigger pieces at a local gem and mineral show. After testing the technique on some scrap, I epoxied the turquoise pieces into the knothole:
I tried to place in big pieces first, then fill the rest of the gap with smaller pieces, making something like islands floating in the resin. After filing off the bulk of the excess and rough sanding with a 40 grit disc, it looked like this:
After I finish fine sanding, the epoxy will turn clear, showing more embedded pieces inside the knothole. But that step comes much later.
Next I made the horizontal and vertical dividing panels that act as internal supports to the tool chest:
These are MDF lipped with hardwood, since the faces will be hidden by the drawers anyway. The horizontal panel has a sliding dovetail channel routed for the vertical panel. The vertical panel has routes matching the left/right sides of the tool chest to accommodate the wooden runners. These were tricky to place accurately.
Finally I had the parts needed for the initial glue-up of the outer carcass (the top rails are just there for support… they’ll be glued in during a later step):
This was difficult with my lack of large clamps. I need to invest in some nice bessy/etc parallel clamps. The horizontal divider is only glued on the very front of the sliding dovetail to allow for wood expansion of the sides.
-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)