Several years ago I saw this ribbon design at segmenting.biz/inlayexample. I started by selecting the body of the design. In this case, padauk, yellow heart, aand hickory for three boards. Then I laminated the “ribbons” Then I cut 2” holes in the boards that make up the body of the design. The problem for a flat boarder(cutting board) was how to create the plugs without a center hole. The first idea was wood turning but this would require a massive square of exotic wood...
Welcome back and again sorry for taking so long to get this post out. After my hand healed I was really backed up on some other projects. I’m almost caught up and will post some of those projects on my page in the next couple of days. When we left off we had all the sanding done and are ready for staining and finishing. I’m making two of these frogs, one that will need staining and one out of exotic wood so everyone can participate in this project. We will go over staining next. I’m...
Thanks for joining in again and I apologize for the delay. Hand is doing a lot better and it feels great to be back in the shop. Thanks for your patience and your encouragement to get better. In this section we will focus on shaping and sanding our pieces. In my opinion, this is the most important part of the process. Depth is what makes a piece really stand out and the more depth you use in your project the better you’re going to like the end result. We have all seen intarsia pieces...
I just wanted to update on the status of the class and inform every one of the delay. For those of you that do not know, I had a misfortunate (stupid?) accident and broke a bone in my right hand a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping that I had progressed far enough beforehand that it would not affect the class. Unfortunately the bones are not healing correctly and it is taking longer for ir it to heal. I tried again tonight, but do not have enough dexterity or hand strength to sand while I...
I have an end grain cutting board made of purple heart and yellow heart. The blocks are squares, 1-1/8” square, about 1-1/2” long/thick, glued up with mixed patterns (making letters). The board was treated with mineral oil. It appears that the yellow heart pieces have swollen from absorbing the mineral oil, and have busting some of the glue joints. Has anyone ever experienced this type of problem? Thanks for reading and your comments. Kevin
Thanks for joining us for the third installment of “Intarsia Basics” and this is where it starts to get really fun. Cutting out the pattern is one of the best parts of doing this kind of art. It takes a little practice to get used to using your saw. You can look up some practice patterns or just make some zig zags, loop the loops, straight lines, gentle curves, and circles on a piece of paper and glue to a practice board. Cut out some of these and you will start getting used to the “feel ...
Intro: Hello to all and welcome to the first installment of Intarsia Basics. Before we can start cutting we need to select the wood we want to use and get our pattern ready. Wood Choices: I prefer to start with stock that is one inch thick because that gives you a lot of depth that you can work with. It will require a little more sanding on some areas but it will help to give your piece a 3D look. It is your choice if you prefer to stain your wood to achieve the colors or use exot...
You ain’t ever gonna keep me down. Lyric spotters please feel free to comment. I left you, last night, as I was hacking at the pattern board with a chisel. No, I’m not mad. I’ve done all the tests. It worked. I repaired the pattern. I re-placed the mask and all looks good. Re-taped the pattern I scored a knife line into the pattern,along the outside edge of the outer tape. In combination with a strip of Polycarbonate, which has a line scored on...
I’ve decided to make this one with wood from from my scrap bin and my ‘Ebony Bits Box’ - I won’t bore you with the details but after a lot of cutting and sticking, using Viscose CA, I had made the pattern (with a few little modifications). This was glued onto a backing of 1.5mm Birch Aeroply, using PVA, and thickness sanded to 5mm. Hand sanded down to 600 grit and a couple of coats of spray acrylic (satin finish) later this is the result. I have sto...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1392 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1416 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 170 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries