For the last few years, I have been doing the majority of my work on an old bench that was in my basement when I moved in. As a work surface for dropping old oily lawnmower parts or fiddling with a child’s broken toy, it was adequate. For woodworking, not so much. The height of the bench is about 36 inches and the width was a little over 3 feet. The boards have shifted over the years and the surface was very uneven. The amount of nails and screws made it impossible to safely flatten and...
I took Roy Underhill’s hand tool only class on making a tool chest. It was a wonderful class and I learned a great deal. I highly recommend his classes. We learned about many hand tools and built a dovetailed tool chest. In class I finished the chest and only had to assemble it at home because it had to ship knocked down. The lid I am fitting together and should glue it tomorrow night. This is a picture of fitting the first section of skirt on to the top portion of the side....
My bench has had a gaping…er…gap in the middle of it since I built in in December 2012. Since I have Thanksgiving week off, I thought I’d remedy the situation. The divider is a simple piece made with two boards of sapwood-y black walnut with oak spacers. The bench was quite useful for gluing the thing together. The shot below shows that I staggered the spacers to accommodate different sized tools. After a little cleanup on the table saw and some fine...
Well, the wall hasn’t gone up yet – the start got postponed a day or so. And I had time to start ripping down the yellow pine 2×12s This proved interesting, so I thought I would post a short snippet about that. I ran into a frustrating problem so I will probably post this on the forum as well. My plan is to build a big heavy Holtzapffel bench a la Chris Schwartz et al. Supposedly, yellow pine is a good candidate, strong, heavy and relatively cheap. I’ve never us...
Been quiet for a while. Quite busy with traveling and some other non-wood activities. But I haven’t been idle. Made some progress on shop tasks as well as some honey-dos outside the shop. Continued working on my Holtzapffel bench – learning a lot about how to use the tools I’ve got. I have completed the top, legs and stretchers – or least roughly. A little flattening and trimming to do, but I am thinking of that as part of assembling the frame. I’ll get to that as soon...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1188 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1210 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries