I have launched a new website (www.wwbeds.com). The new website has a cleaner, more user-friendly appeal. The site features over 200 pages and 7,000 images. Most of those are archived pictures of past projects (see Archives). The website still offers customers the opportunity to watch their furniture built live. Three remote-control cameras offer customers a variety of views of the workshop. I am having a little trouble with that right now, so I don’t have it running all the time until ...
When coming up with a design for the boats headboard for the first time I wanted more like a bookcase headboard. Something more then just a flat headboard. What I did was take a simple bookcase headboard, one like I’d use on a captain’s bed, and tilt it back a little. To give it more of a nautical look, I cut portholes across the top and then some larger ones in the sides. Building Picture Raw Video of the build <other /> Video streaming by Ustream For more building...
Okay, I haven’t posted a French Fry Friday post in a while. This is where I talk about those small things or accessories that normally get overlooked in my project post. This week I am taking a look at file drawers. There are several ways to accomplish this task. The most popular way is to use a rack system. Just make sure you leave enough room for it to slid in there. Rockler has a slip on system, where is very cool and easy too. With it being plastic I bet the hanging file fo...
Today I’ll be working on a prototype for Hospice in Fayetteville Arkansas. This is the same town that I did the 52 beds for the Chi Omega house. One of the ladies on the board that is working on the Hospice project is also an alumni of Chi Omega. She saw our beds a few weeks ago while they were being installed and wants us to build 13 daybeds for them. I traveled 3 hours up there on Thursday. I didn’t go just for that. I had some ladders to move at the Chi Omega house and ...
I wanted to post about finishing the largest single project I’ve done to date. I haven’t posted any many updates on the progress. When I was putting a title to this block, I noticed I already had a series Chi Omega Dorm Room. This was the last biggest project that I built 2 years ago. So the 7 post before this one is the build for that job and not the new one, but the beds are the same, just more of them this time. Two years ago I had 10 singles and 7 bunk beds for a total o...
I think I’m turning into a ship builder. I have built four “boat beds” over the last several months and working on an order for three of them now. More info on how to watch us build them below.Standard add portholes in April Changed headboard in June Pirate in June Pirate in July Now I’m building three for a customer. I have the parts cut out and will be building on them today. Watch the progress: For more building pictures see my Current Projects l...
A break from the normal murphy bed and switching gears to a twin four poster bed. I’m posting out of order, but here is the video of the post glue up. Video streaming by UstreamThe post will be 2 1/2” x 2 1/2” with a small chamfer on the edges to make an octagon look. I’m going to stop the chamfer on the inside where the post attach. This will allow my bracket room to mount. For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com o...
Again I had different routes that I could have taken on the glue to use. I decided to go with regular yellow glue. It is more forgiving. If I would have laid the face down in one piece instead of an inlay, I may have used contact cement. Since the whales were fairly small I felt the yellow glue would work fine. I needed even and constent pressure on the entire piece. What I did was laid it down in this order. 2×4’s, substrate, glue, whale, wax paper, foam pad, plywood, 2...
I have the design, cut the veneer pieces and now it is time to put it on the face. I tossed around ideas on how I’d put it on the face. My first idea was to order a large sheet of maple veneer (background wood). Cut the whale into the it like I did the rest and then glue it all onto a substrate panel. What I ended up doing was using 3/4” maple plywood as the substrate and cut in the design. First I outlined the whale. I then went around the border with a chisel. This allo...
Okay, I got approval form the customer and time to get started on the project. To pattern it I enlisted the services from a local sign company. They printed it up with the colors separated life size (life size to the bed not life size in the wild). They made me some mask to use as the pattern. Here is also the wood I choose to use. They are Quarter Sawn Walnut (dark color) and Lacewood (reddish color): These were masks so I was able to stick them to the veneer pieces. I cut them out...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries