My Ann and I made the trip south to our sweet granddaughter Brittany’s home to give her this blanket chest that I made. She is 23 weeks pregnant with our two great granddaughters, our first ones. I remember the day that this sweet girl could fit into the palms of my two cupped hands. Now she will bring into our lives another two pretty girls to love and hold.
ROCKLER LID-STAY TORSION HINGE INSTALLATION Although installing the hinges was a simple process, I wanted to be sure that it went on without any mistakes. I wanted the lid to be centered on the case with just the right overlay. Of course, the right amount of overlay with the hinges I was using was set in motion weeks ago. That is when I cut the lid panel to its final dimensions. It was that long ago that these steps today where easily processed. The steps I took to install the hinge...
It did not take long today to spray on the second and last coat of finish. Again this was spar urethane that I was spraying on my wormy maple Shaker style blanket chest. I will let this coat dry 24 hours before I begin fastening the lid hinges. The only thing that remain on this project besides letting the urethane dry thoroughly is to install the Rockler stay-lid torsion hinges. As I mentioned earlier in this blog, I glued two shim pieces to bring the chest’s back panel out from 5/...
I wiped on two coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal yesterday. That certainly went easier for me than the amber Shellac did when I tried to brush it on this wormy maple. These coats of sanding sealer look good. I am warming up my shop so I can wipe on two or more coats today. Then I will probably spray on either clear Shellac from a can or a Spar Polyurethane to protect this blanket chest’s finish. I took a close-shot of the chest’s dovetails, and also its plinth. I do l...
If this project was for myself I would probably still use Shellac for its finish, clear but not amber. I would follow the suggestions I have received here to rub on the Shellac. I would not attempt to brush it again on this project. What I have learned is that applying Shellac takes a very trained and experienced hand, for a brushed on finish for sure. Watching Chuck Bender brush on Shellac makes it look too easy. There are years of experience in his badger hair brush strokes, For this ...
I placed my first finish coat; Zinsser’s dewaxed sanding sealer. I wiped that on all surfaces; aka per Charles Neil’s recommendation; meaning all surfaces like including the inside the case and on the case bottom. I put my used rags into a lidded container of water outdoors. I do not need a fire over keeping a used rag… I will brush on amber Shellac next. It should warm up this chest some. I think. The Chest’s Case and Plinth The Chest’s Lid This ...
I recalled how Charles Neil has stated that he “always” places finish on both sides of a board. That statement was very profound so I felt compelled to ask him if I should finish the inside of my blanket chest. Can’t hurt to ask, right? I wrote him late last night. He is two time zones ahead of me. He took time to answer little ol’ me. I had his written advice waiting for me to read early this morning. Here it is, all of it: —“I finish inside an...
I decided not to apply any finish today. Instead I did some touch up work. I noticed some small gaps that I filled with wood filler. I opened the Rockler Lid-stay Torsion Hinge package. It has been a year since I built my last blanket chest. I used these hinges on that chest. I remember now why I had to cut mortises for that chest. I milled that case’s lumber to 7/8 inch thick panels. This chest’s panels were milled to 5/8 inches. The hinges are made for 3/4 inches. I...
I hand planed and sanded the lid that came out of the clamps this morning. I also sanded the base or plinth and the chest’s case. I fastened the base to the case. I firgured the best way to make sure it went on square and even was to set the base on the floor and then place and position the case on the base. Once I was satisfied with its location, I held it at that position on the base with four parallel clamps, two to each side. Then I placed the chest on my workbench where I could ...
I used my Bosch Colt router to flush trimmed the bottom ship-lapped boards so they would be flush to the chest’s outer walls. Nothing exciting here. It did the job. This photo confirms that the parts are flush with the wall so my trim pieces will fit nicely on the base and up against the wall of the chest, without any gaps. Next I turned my attention to the chest’s lid; especially cutting and fitting the mitered corners. Frankly, I just sneaked up with the fit at m...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries