My husband was planning to install another outlet and rocker switch for our workbench, so I offered to cut the openings. I lifted the top – which hadn’t yet been screwed in place – to cut the hole for the outlet box...The vibration from cutting and drilling caused the 75-pound top to fall on me. No, I didn’t get hurt but I’m too much of a weakling to lift it off, especially without using my hands. The Lord blessed me in that my husband was just outside the shop building his “stockade” for ...
I’m tired of seeing all these moxon vises and not making my own. They are pretty expensive. I really need something to act as a front vise on my bench. This takes care of that problem and it also raises any cutting that i’ll be doing by 7 1/2” (which helps out the back). Here is my version of the moxon vise using two pipe clamps. Check out the video. Please subscribe to my channel and check out all the other videos on there.
I’ve been working on this bench for more than a year and am finally almost finished. The base is ash and is from a plan I got from woodstore.net and the top is 2×6 lumber from Home Depot and is loosely based on the Stumpy Nubs 2×6 Roubo bench. The top is 36” x 59” and 5” thick. I made it wider than both of the plans called for because I wanted to use it for assembly. I haven’t had a chance to seal it yet because as soon as the top was flat I started...
I decided at this point that I should install the front and end vises with their wooden jaws prior to surfacing the top. So, my son and I (remember, 150 pounds or so) flipped the benchtop on its back, and I made sure the vise mounting spots were relatively flat and square to the edges. Then it was time to construct the wooden jaws, and obviously, whitewood would never do for this application. The only logical choice seemed to be maple, which is not available as a locally-produced wood. ...
Yesterday started with the bench side of the Toolwell. I glued up the back wall the night before and yesterday morning it was time to remove the clamps and rip that to the correct thickness. I decided to do it this way so I could clamp the other side to this one as a cutting guide. It worked pretty well. A quick pass with the No 4 and it is done. Then I trimmed up the leading edge where the dovetails will be and started on the mortise in the endcap. I used the same process a...
I did an Interview with Chris Schwarz from Lost Art Press that I posted on my blog if anyone is interested. Next week I am going to do a review of the Anarchist Tool Chest. Chris Schwarz is one of the founding members of Lost Art Press a small publishing company in Kentucky that focuses on teaching modern woodworkers traditional hand tool skills. Chris is the also the former editor of Popular Woodworking Magazine. In the next week or so I will post an article about “The Anarchist Tool ...
Rather than try to lump this in with all the other things, I decided an ongoing project format was probably best for this one. My buddy had an old workbench top from some school workshop….not sure exactly where he got it, and it’s probably not a standard depth, but it worked out great for this project. I had the contractors save as much of the spare lumber as they could from the renovations that were happening on my building last winter, so the legs are made of 2” x 6̶...
To cut the mortises for the leg tenons, I went back to the masking tape. Laid some strips down, and lined up the first leg to be flush with the front of the bench. This leg will ultimately be the leg vise. I had deliberated left some extra space between two of the dog holes to ensure the leg would fit. It was easy to knife the outer faces of the tenons, but the inner faces are a bit harder. Because I know the tenons are dead straight, I simply knifed about 1” in on both ends. Afte...
NOTE:I originally posted this as a Project and not a Blog entry. So I’ve moved it over here and will build upon it. I can not figure out how to delete the project, so my mistake will continue to live on, like most of my mistakes. ====================================================== After moving tables bought from auctions and using sawhorses and 2×4s as a miter saw base, I decided I needed a proper workbench. I spent a few months scouring the internet and magazines to find ...
My new apprentice is visiting his grandma this morning so I took advantage of the time to get the top out of the clamps and cleaned up (long planing sessions is an activity he still doesn’t have the patience for lol). I will need to have a serious talk with him on his glueup skills (Ahem.. yep tossing dimes all over the place here).... In “our” rush the other day we glued the top up about as uneven as it would have been humanly possible to do so quite a bit of work was a...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1795 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1820 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries