I’ve decided that I’m going to build the Holtzapffel Workbench based on Christopher Schwarz’s article in Woodworking Magazine. You can see a picture of the workbench from the magazine cover. Also, here is a video of Chris actually demonstrating the workbench. Too see the video, you have to select the Workshop category and then select Holtzapffel Workbench. I picked this bench because I want to get better with hand-tools and I need the sophisticated clamping capability ...
Bowling Alley Workbench #6: There is more than 1 way to skin a cat - not so with bowling alley floors though - finally success
Yes. Finally some light at the end of the tunnel, reverse thinking, and this project seems a bit more doable, and even not much trouble at all. Originally I tried to get the (2.5” hardened) nails out by using a cat’s paw and a hammer to pull each nail out of the 2.5 laminated hard-rock maple strips. I figured once I get all the nails out of the top strip, it’ll just free it from the lamination, and be nails free… one strip at a time, until I have them all cleared ou...
Due to a change of circumstances in my life, I recently moved from Nashville, Tennessee to Boston, Massachusetts. In the process I lost my garage workshop and gained a very small room in a dingy basement. Due the the space and noise constraints I have decided to try my luck with hand tools instead of the power tools I have relied on in the past. Since my bench was left in Tennessee, I decided that the first thing I needed to build a new workbench. One that was sturdy, solid, hand made, ...
I changed the overall dimensions of the bench to accommodate a top that is two feet by four feet. My shop is pretty small so I’m trying to make everything more compact. My first task with the new bench was to create the end assemblies. So, I used a German cross cut handsaw (http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/24-Hand-Saw-7-TPI-Cross-Cut-Teeth-Germany/productinfo/520-0600/) I ordered from traditional woodworker and got to work. Once I rough-cut the lumber down, I used my new Stanl...
Hello. This is a video I made to show the details and construction of my bench so far. I go over the shoulder vise construction and joinery. I hope it may be useful to those who may be contemplating bench designs. I will make a few more videos as I progress, and I will have a video or two on making wooden screws and nuts aswell.
Hello, this is probably my last workbench blog entry, now that my bench is complete! Like I said in my last blog, the workbench has been complete a couple weeks before this post on November 12. With my last post I had wrote about completing the base. After I had the base assembled, glued up, and drawbored I placed the bench top onto the base. Previous to putting the top on the base I had put one coat of boiled linseed oil on the underside of the top. The top is removable from the base, I deci...
As evidenced in my first post in this series, I have a severe lack of organization in my garage/shop. Two weekends ago I threw up some shelves with my ‘chop saw’ (that’s for you Don) so we could get my soon-to-be wife’s side of the garage organized. That was a quick and easy project, and we (mostly she) got that part of the garage in tiptop shape. Well last weekend she wanted me to start cleaning my side (two thirds) of the garage. We’re getting married in Se...
Scandinavian workbench restoreMaking bench dogs. Time for bench dogs, the show must go on… First was to cut three pieces of wood into the right size.The bench dog holes total size and the length I choose to be app double the thickness of the bench top. On the left you see the only dog that came with the bench… I guess this dog cant bark a lot…So time to make some marking, now the shape comes and I simply follow the measures of the dog holes in the bench top. This time I use ...
Scandinavian workbench restoreFixing the front vice. This part is the repair of the front vice and yes making it run smooth as a dream.(Some call the front vice a face vice). We are back at the bench, now with hold fast and more or less ready to use.But my front vice is missing it’s pressure plate. The really old benches did not have one of these but mine has the slide for it so it will be replaced. Here again you can see the underneath how it is really just a clamp attached to the t...
Well work picked up for a while so I haven’t had time to post any progress till now. In this post I will show what I had to do to get the Veritas Twin-Screw vise mounted. I originally was planning on using the Lie-Nielsen Twin-Screw vise but had to change when I realized the dog holes would interfere with the chain. The biggest issue with the change was that the instructions for the Veritas vise said you needed to have 1-1/2” of clearance from the bottom of the top for the receive...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries