The top of my workbench is a 4” thick torsion box: 3/4” birch plywood panels on either side of a frame of 2.5”x1.5” yellow pine members. When designing the top, these were my primary considerations: I wanted it to be flat and strong, and not too light. I wanted an array of dog holes. I decided that spacing them 6” center-to-center would be good enough for my surface vise. I wanted every dog hole to be in, or backed by, solid wood. That way, even if the h...
OK, I had 8 rather large mortises to cut for the feet and top of the trestles for a new workbench and thought my little tool would come in handy. It did a handsome job, so I thought I would share. I also did my first video, just the camera on a tripod, 5 minutes of routing. Boring unless you like this sort of thing. I thought this would be a good time to explain some of the things that need to be decided, even for something this simple. Unlike hand routing, you actually have to...
I got your attention with that title, so here’s the picture….. I began to cut the hole for the vise two nights ago, last night I actually got it mounted. I had to use 3 layers of plywood to get the clearance I needed to mount it. (I’ll try and get a picture of that when I’m under the bench again. I’m not picking it up again if I can help it.) I had my 10 year old nephew help me mount it and here are the results… I have one coat of BLO ...
Back again friends, Ok, the next step is the make a wagon vise out of this screw I got from Lee Valley. Thanks to PurpLev for the inspiration on his blog:http://lumberjocks.com/PurpLev/blog/17919 First I jointed one side of the boards for the end caps then ran it through the thickens planner, etc… Next since the wood in the wagon vise recess had warped since being cut I had to trim some wood off using my #78, #92, and a chisel. I even used the front bullnose portion of the 78...
I had previously finished laminating the two halves that would make up the top. I made two 12” wide sections, ran each through the planer to smooth and true up the tops and bottoms, and ran each mating edge across the jointer. And as I wrote in the previous blog entry, one of the halves already has the finished wagon vise built into it. The two halves were now all done and ready to be glued. It was tricky maneuvering the two parts in the final glue up, as each section was heav...
I have been experimenting more and more with hand tools, and I learned quickly you need a proper workbench to get the most out of hand tools. The last bench I built works really well for power tools and assembly, but it’s not stout enough to handle hand planning. It also lacked the necessary vises and bench dogs needed to secure your work. So I began my search for the perfect bench to use with hand tools. I’ll tell you right now, perfection is hard to come by for workbenches. Everyone ...
So after we've got the bowling alleys. now it’s time to put them to to use (not really ‘now now’ but … you know what I mean). So, I really would like to make this one a keeper, and not have to redo this bench unless I really fancy it in the future with lots of extra time on my hands and nothing better to do with it (hence – not likely it’ll happen), and in order to do that, I figured I’ll make this one as close as I can to the ‘ultimate’...
I think most of you have seen a lot of these pics on other thread but I’ll post them here for the Blog with more detail. As you know last time I tried to carve my screw by hand, it worked but was slow going. So I built the router jig but have been having trouble dialing it in perfectly. Here is the router jig I made. As you can see its a loose fit which is why I got a lot of chipping in the tips of the thread, I was cutting to deep. This is what happened when I fed my hand car...
Hard to believe, I know. It’s been over a year since I announced the workbench complete, although there was always that missing part, that loose end that had to be tied off in order to officially declare it a complete project. Not only was it a loose end (literally, the vise screw was hanging loose in it’s slot), but it was a missing integral part of the bench that I kept on wishing I had setup and functional. The Wagon Vise to hold down boards for planing flat and similar work...
So far so good, there are no surprises. No cracks or breaks. As you recall from my previous blog post the vise will not turn. There is no sense of restoring the vise if you can get to move. So this blog is about getting the screw to turn.I searched for woodworking Columbian vise information. There don’t seem to be much. What I have found so far are mostly pictures and mounting information, but not the details that I am after. Hopefully I am correct in my selection of words in describin...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1813 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1838 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries