The other night I was finally able to get back out to the shop. I was excited about starting to get to some of the detail work on the pieces. Got the measurements transferred from the SU to the ply pieces, and set up my square to being my edge guide (mistake #1 but I thought it was a good idea at the moment). Even used a piece of scrap to remind me not to run the bit all the way through the L and K pieces I had screwed down. so with this setup, I continued routing my bench dog holes. I...
So, the pictures above are the two slabs. The larger slab is at the back, on edge. It will be the front slab, and is actually still going to get two more timbers added to it, a dog strip and the face strip. The slab in the clamps is the back slab. Rather than going with a “normal” split top design, this one is using asymmetrical slabs. The front slab is going to be about 16” wide, while the rear slab is a bit over 11” wide. Both slabs are out of their c...
I’mmmmmm back! I kinda got derailed over the last two weeks. Between trouble with trying to get a mobile base built for Uncle Max (my jointer/planer), job search & interviews, and wasting time, I didn’t get much accomplished until last night, when I glued up two more pairs of timbers. Today, I got down to some serious milling. 1 1/2 bags of chips later, I’m ready for the final glue ups for the slabs. Well, milling wise I am. I’ve still got to lop some length ...
Got up fairly early this mornin. After a few cups of coffee and a shower I went out to the shop. I had cut, routed some roundovers, and stained/finished the drawer fronts yesterday. Was waiting for electrical inspector to stop by and give the thumbs up on my new service connection on the house (he didn’t show up till 4:30pm though said he would be there in the morning) I am all good on that, now I just gotta take the paperwork to utility company and coordinate a switch. Left bank...
Hiya, Last week was all about the leg vise and this week I focused my efforts on the wagon vise. My helper hasn’t been privy to this part mainly due to it being rather machine heavy. We still have melt downs when machines are running (to be fair so do I sometimes lol) so I was flying solo for all that follows. I hope to get him out there tomorrow for more shop time but till then this is what we have. It started with this.. Then I went about making the wagon sled the same ...
Small bit of progress So today I grabbed some pine pallet wood. I cut and planed down to the sizes needed, for the face frame. Screwed them in from face, since I didnt plan ahead to use pocket screws, and didn’t want to glue them. Took a 3/8 oak dowel and cut some plugs for the screw holes. I mixed up some 1-1-1 and got 2 coats on face frame, top banding, some of the inside. Also put some on drill press stand top. Made and installed the drawers for center.One drawer Showi...
Well the other day I finally got some 3/16 hardboard and had the blue box rip it to the 24.25 inches to fit on the top. I put drops of glue in key spots to keep it from moving. I then installed a rip cutoff from my hand tool bench in slow progress, damn nails imbedded/hidden in some have me frustrated. Glued screwed and plugged this to the front edge of the top. I wiped on some Early American stain to pop the grain a bit more, it has lots of figure imho. Fast forward to today. I was up...
Today was a semi-productive day. I got two 2 timber segments glued up, and got Uncle Max off/out of the crappy mobile base. That took a bit longer than I expected, as I had to go forth and get some more hardware for the task. The trip forth ended up including dinner, and a stop at Lowe’s for some other hardware for the base, which I ended up not getting as a different approach came to mind. Pictured below is the tool I used for moving Uncle Max off the lousy base. It is heavily s...
Roubo-ish Workbench Build #3: Bump in the build, or how a crappy mobile base can bring an Italian Stallion to a halt...
So, I’ve managed to get everything face jointed and the first of the big lamination done. I’ve decided I’m going to go with 8 segments in each half, at least for the moment. The first big lamination was 4 segments, and I had intended to do 3 more 4 segment laminations. That plan has changed though, for two reasons. First, getting all four segments to align turned out to be more trouble than expected. Second, too messy. I’m going to do them in pairs, then glue the...
Rather than try to lump this in with all the other things, I decided an ongoing project format was probably best for this one. My buddy had an old workbench top from some school workshop….not sure exactly where he got it, and it’s probably not a standard depth, but it worked out great for this project. I had the contractors save as much of the spare lumber as they could from the renovations that were happening on my building last winter, so the legs are made of 2” x 6̶...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1632 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1657 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- robscastle - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries