So the last few days have proven to be highly productive. Before moving the workbench to its final position I decided to ahead and hang the pegboard as not having 2’ of desk between you and the wall helps.I decided on doing an 8’ long by 35” high pegboard. Its significantly smaller than my previous 4’x8’ pegboard. There is roughly about a foot between the top of the pegboard and the ceiling. I plan to put a shelf up there to hold plastic boxes like my Kreg kit...
I knew today was going to be a good day. Got out to the shop and started assembling the base. Well, back up a bit – had to clean up and organize some, move the desk/bench thingy to the wall and lay out where exactly I wanted the new bench to be placed. Once it is all together, it will not be moveable without a lot of effort. Ah, on to the base. Laid the tape down where I wanted it to go and set the legs in place. Added the stretchers Right about this time, Dad came by. Perfe...
I’ve been (very) slowly plugging away at my workbench here and there. I think I finally have made enough progress for another post. I noticed that the 2×6 that I had for my last leg was pretty twisted and knotty. I glued it up to see if I could just plane out the twist, but it proved to be a royal pain in the butt, and I figured it would only complicated matters down the line, so I went to the store and picked through the pile until I found a nice straight one. This one glued up...
While I did most of the odds and ends yesterday, there were a few things I needed to do today to get everything ready to assemble. First, I have a location conflict with the leg closest to the wagon vise and the first dog hole: I knew this going in – I need a leg close to the end of travel for the wagon vise, but the dog hole spacing was going to be less than the leg width. For the holes around the leg vise leg, I simply added a bit of space between two holes, but for the leg clos...
As promised, two more days of work as produced results. I did get one surprise through this process. I expected the whole thing to be sturdy, that is how its designed after all. I might have gone a bit overboard. It actually takes effort to make it wiggle at all and my female hung off of one side and shook around, the bench didn’t move. So success there. Anyways, on with the pictures. So the legs are done, obviously, here is what they look like with their first of two cross pieces...
Well, I discovered I didn’t take any pictures of fitting the tenons to the mortises. Probably because it was kind of tedious and a little bit boring. The first step was to cut the tenons. For the side stretchers, I cut them the same way I cut the large tenons on the legs – with the table saw. Shoulders first, then stand the piece up and cut the cheeks. Then I squared up each mortise and used a router plane, a rasp and/or a float to fit each tenon in turn. Three of the 8 teno...
got 1.5 hours to work in the shop tonight to enjoy the last of our 45+ temps. I think I’ll be bringing the rest of the bench in to assemble in the basement but we’ll see how this goes. So I worked on getting the leg with the vise in it put together. I had it screwed together but it wasn’t squared. Frustrated, I took all the screws out and started from square one and layer one. Since part F starts the one side, I shimmed the other pieces up level and start putting the first ...
Hi folks.Well first post here. Found out about this site from Pintrest pins leading to it and found it extremely helpful. Figured I’d chronicle my not-so-little project here via these blogs. So here we go. [WARNING: This entry is going to be highly text heavy] Short history lesson first. Started my own business in June of this year (2014). Was currently living in a house that I was renting for various reasons but had every intent of buying a house shortly. Prior to that lived in a Co...
Before I mortised the legs, I decided to inset the nut for the leg vise. Easier to do it now than later. (Thank you, Sylvain and tsangell!) This gives me another 1 1/4” of vise travel. If I need more, I will invert the nut. That can be easily accomplished later. The process was to lay out crosshairs on a piece of scrap and mark the center: The layout lines are needed to line up the template with the center of where the nut goes. Then drill out a hole with the big Forstner bit &...
If figured it would be better to work on the vise install on the leg before the bench was assembled. Heeding my own advise, I read and re-read the install instructions again before I started. First thing I realized was that the leg vise install is as much about the chop as it is about the leg. Makes sense – a vise isn’t much with just one surface :-) So I glued up a board to use as the chop: The chop needs to be at least 2 1/2” thick and I all have is 8/4” board...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries