Last time, I had finished assembly of the benchtop but had neglected to get any pictures of it right-side up. I moved it onto the bed in the spare bedroom near my work area to make room for sizing up the leg stock. I purchased poplar for the base of the bench since it is relatively inexpensive. I read something recently about poplar not being a good choice for a workbench base (not sure what the reasoning was), but I have already purchased it and done much of the sizing of parts from it. I...
I wanted to do this for a long time and had the parts ordered and delivered a while ago, but one thing led to another and this was kept on the back burner and never saw the light of day. Ironically, it is now finished but still with no light of day as it is almost 11pm… All it gets is the light of the moon (which some may say is better). I really liked benchcrafted wagon vise (even a free plug for them) But for what it is I think it’s a bit overpriced (for a vise). Don’t ...
Newest addition to the ongoing project is a new table for my mini lathe. I had issues before with chips/dust collecting under the motor, causing it to get extremely hot. My solution to this was to use the table saw dust collection hood that I had laying around and inset it into the table top. I feel this will adequately stop the dust from collecting, as well as cause a stream of cool air to constantly be passing by the motor, causing it to run much cooler. After I get a chance to test o...
The base for the first bench is now assembled, this took a lot longer than I had thought it would due to the fact that my shop floor is not completely flat and I wanted the bench as flat as possible. I spent a lot of time adjusting the alignment of the joints. My cuts and previous assemblies appear to be square/flat, just the floor is out of wack. The first step was making sure the end assemblies would stand up on there own. Clamping the long cross members to get them square. After c...
I finally got around to finalizing a design so I could begin cutting the wood. I started by purchasing 2 sheets of 3/4 sanded ply and 7 2×8 fir boards, I will also be using some MDF I had on hand. “Bench in Potentia” After a new TS blade and a whole lot of ripping I went from a stack of a few boards to a stack of more smaller boards. I then put together the 2 end assemblies, this is where I made my first mistake. I have 3 different widths of boards I cut out ...
So I’m almost finished milling my materials and figured it was time to get to the design. I guess its a Roubo inspired design. I’m not going to have the leg vise at least not in the beginning but I like the apron and center slide concept with all of the dog holes. On the backside I’d like to have a cabinet/drawers. But I have a few questions and would like some feedback. To maximize cabinet height I made the backside top apron 3” high, I would like to make the botto...
Once I finished building my shed. I used the left over lumber to throw together an easy workbench. It’s nothing special but more of something I can use for projects here and there until I have the space and money to upgrade. I did design it so I can upgrade it here and there for projects as I see fit.
You can’t discuss handplanes without discussing the workbench. Do you need a workbench to do work by hand? No, what you need is a way to hold your work while you work on the face, edges and ends of various sized boards. Benches just so happen to fill that need VERY well. The problem with benches is that people convince themselves that they cant build a good bench without a bench, to an extent that’s true but it does not have to be the stumbling block some people make it. ...
I am beginning to build a new workbench so I thought I would try out blogging it. This is my first attempt at writing to explain a project so please feel free to comment on my style. My current bench is a ‘whitewood and screws’ model, that was built by the former owner of my house, worked great for what I needed at the time, but it is showing signs of age as well as some other issues that need to be dealt with. The old bench has begun racking, the screws are not holding well enoug...
Hey all! It’s been a bit since I posted my last progress on this workbench, but thats not to say I haven’t been working on it. Since the last time, I managed to do some more work on the legs to get them ready to accept the rails and panels for the sides of the bench. Remember those Douglas Fir posts that I posted I think in my first blog? Well I resawed a couple of those to use for the panels, really nice wood! The posts were thick enough to get 3 full 1” boards o...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries