72”x24” 1-3/4” thick Top = $25Groz vise = $40Misc fasteners and hardware = $10Building your own workbench that actually fits in a tight space that has no space for a workbench = PRICELESS Now I just need to use scrap wood, and design legs to hold the workbench horizontally… I made it extra tall, cause every other bench I work on I get back pains from having to bend too much. In the mean time, I just improvise and put something under to hold it straight just so that I can work on it ...
I found some time and got the vises installed. First the endcap and the front maple edge were dovetailed, the endcap routed to receive the tongue formed on the end of the Douglas fir, and then both glued into place. This was the first time I really cut dovetails by hand, and it was kind of fun. It is surprising how strong the resulting joint is. The endcap was only glued at the corner, and their will be a lag bolt near the back to allow wood movement. There is a story behind the walnut...
So like every other woodworker, I take pride in my shop, and always aspire to have the most convenient, flowing, accessible, productive, efficient, fun, and good looking setup I can get. This is the story of my shop. So one thing that I wanted for a while, but never really got the chance to setup, nor the place, was a workbench. for the longest time I’ve been mostly assembling on the floor, and working on foldable plastic sawhorses that have a work surface that flips on top –...
I’ve done a lot of work on the top since the last entry. I started by roughly flattening the bottom side of the top. This was my first big opportunity to use my handplanes and I learned a lot from the experience. First, this took a lot of time. Part of it was my own inefficiency. I started by going diagonally across the surface but it was so uneven that it was just riding on the high boards. A more efficient way to start with the roughness caused by an uneven glue up is to plane leng...
After finishing the mockup of the face vise, I was now ready to do it for real. I started by gluing up a couple piece of oak for the main chop. You saw me use my new planer sled to mill the two large faces flat. I used the mockup to locate and cut the 2 main holes for the screws.I used a regular hole saw on my drill press to cut the holes. It was slow going through the hard oak, but I made it through. Next I wanted to dress up and round over the ends of the chop. I layout a small reveal...
Hello folks, I figure everyone should get a bit of a chuckle out of this project. My sister recently moved into a new apartment and for whatever strange reason she had somehow acquired a six foot long piece of bowling alley. Normally I would have just pitched it in the trash, but the grain caught my eye, birdseye! Upon further inspection it was a mix of birdseye, curly maple, regular maple and white oak. So it was acquired, and quickly moved home. Upon closer inspection I notice a few t...
I found some more time to work on the bench. I glued up the base stretchers. I used the draw pin mortise technique where the dowel pin holes through the mortises were slightly forward of the holes through the mortises. When I tapped the dowels through, they pulled the stretchers tight against the posts. One of the nicest things about this is no clamps while the glue is drying. I was working alone on the top, so I was unable to do the “glue up three and send a batch through the plan...
I decided to start out with the legs, so I could get more practice milling the lumber and in gluing the pieces up before tackling the top. The idea with the legs is to sandwich a longer board in between two shorter boards to make a ready-made tenon. Here are all of the pieces for the four legs milled up. You can see some dark streaks in these pieces. Those are where I ran into sap pockets in the wood. I don’t know if that’s bad or not, but it is annoying. I th...
It’s been over 7 weeks since my last entry, but it took about that long for the wood to dry out enough. For the first 3 weeks, the wood was drying very slowly probably because it was still cold out here in Denver. In the mean time, I spent some time adding dust collection to the shop and also built this sweet sawbench/sawhorse from Chris Schwarz's design. This gave me some good practice milling up the lumber and also with some finishing. I used the natural Watco Danish oil on ...
I started working on my workbench and was able to spend some time on it last week while my wife was in Maine. It is a combination of ideas I gained while studying others, and I am sort of making it up as I go along. I used Douglas Fir as it was easy to find, and I was able to purchase some fairly clean pieces at the Home Depot. It was quite wet when I got it, and it has been drying for several weeks now. I milled it to almost final dimension and now it is drying some more, and what I thin...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1196 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1218 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries