Due to a change of circumstances in my life, I recently moved from Nashville, Tennessee to Boston, Massachusetts. In the process I lost my garage workshop and gained a very small room in a dingy basement. Due the the space and noise constraints I have decided to try my luck with hand tools instead of the power tools I have relied on in the past. Since my bench was left in Tennessee, I decided that the first thing I needed to build a new workbench. One that was sturdy, solid, hand made, ...
Ali's Workbench w/ Shop Made Wagon Vise #1: 3 1/2" Thick Workbench top w/ Shop Made Wagon Vise - Almost Done!
Here is a better pic of my workbench top and shop made end vise. The legs are almost done. I did some experimentation with a drawbore (name?) tenon that you can see on the back end. The empty space is where the half long tool tray will be. Honestly, I am undecided about the tool tray. Would it even be possible to just fill it in? Suggestions would be great! :) This is my first attempt at dovetails. And they are extremely hard! I am sure you can see the little spaces/discolorations but I r...
Bench;Still working on my Roubo bench. Flattening the top every chance I get. I’ve glued up the legs but will start on the joinery next. TurningA coworker had a Austrian Pine die in his yard. He asked if I wished to collect any of it. Well I didnt have a way to get the log chopped or get it home at the time he needed it cut down. I asked though for him to cut a chunk off so I could maybe cut up a couple of bowl blanks from it for practice. lightsaberFriend of mine’s son ...
Wow, that was tedious. Sawing through a 6” x 6 1/2” with a ryoba was no joke. Then I had to flatten the bottom. Not too bad. Creating the chamfers on the bottom of the legs was fun, though. Then I weighed the leg with my luggage scale just for kicks. All four legs are done. Next: fitting the long stretchers! P.S. The post title is my general feeling after seeing my legs lying horizontally on the ground for such a long time. It’s good to see them upright!
Project Status: Planning phase This is a sketch of the workbench. I’m still working on some of the design/looking for parts and ideas. This plan includes the “less expensive” top… I will eventually put a really nice top on it, but need something functional right off. It will also include two veritas vises: Front Vise and Twin-Screw Vise I like these two vises but will add a bit of cost to the top. Some questions about the future top: Round or...
Today, Tuesday at the Treasure Mart in Ann Arbor the were unloading a great workbench. 3” thich maple bench top, metal drawere and an overhead shelf. It’s heavy. It was not priced but their prices are good. Also a really antique . . .really antique, bad shape, Craftsman table saw on a stand. With motor. It is outside in the driveway, left side as you face the building from the sidewalk. Over in Wisconsin at the Waukesha Antique Mart, a number of cases of wooden planes. C...
I thought I would be done by now but between work and waiting on my end vise I haven’t got there yet. I have everything as far as I can go, with out the vise. So here is where it’s at. This is the jig I used to cut the tenon on the end of the top.Before After In this shot you can see how I was trying to get as much length out of the top as possible. Here I have the dado in the skirt before I cut the dove tails. I spent a lot of time thinking about the dove tail layo...
I messed up actually a little making the top. I originally meant to make in two sections then take it through the planer. however i made the whole width then did a face palm. i flattened one side and glued up the legs. going to make the base and will move on from there just out of the clamps removing glue drops started flattening one side starting to flatten the other side gluing up the legs
So I’m done with my leg glue-up on all four legs. The mortises were really the thing I was dreading most, and now they’re done. And my left front leg has a nice 2 1/4” hole to accomodate the wood screw for the leg vise. That was a beast to do with an expansive bit. My chest is still sore from the bit brace, and I was even using a board to better distribute the pressure. Right now I’m en route to Germany for a conference. Will be back on Saturday. Then I’ll fin...
Today it’s back to the glueup phase of my build. I’ve glued up half of the boards for each leg and done the short stretcher mortises for each. Now it’s time to glue the other half of the boards on, and voids in the glueup will create the mortises for the long stretchers. Here’s the first layer just after clamping, with a closeup: Then I glued an identical layer onto that one (both pieces), and voila, a mortise for the long stretcher. The last two boards clos...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1558 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1583 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries