Well, I finally completed the workbench. This was based on the Torsion Box Workbench from Shop Notes magazine July 2010. The construction for this was going along nicely until I inadvertently drilled the wrong size dog holes in the edging! Luckily I was able to rip the edges off using the table saw and make new ones. The top was sized to fit the mobile shop cart underneath for storage. Although it seems I won’t be storing it away very often, it is nice to have the op...
I picked up an AKEDA DC 16 Dovetail Jig on eBay about a week ago and it got here this last Tuesday. It’s in great shape. Most of the bits still have the coating on them and most of the parts were not opened. Now I do wish it was the BC 24 but those are on Backorder until who knows when so I had to go with what I could get. I decided to go with the Akeda after speaking with Kevan, the designer, about what I would be using it for. He offered some great insight and I am confident that I ma...
Began working on a workbench for the garage so I don’t have to keep cutting on the floor or my makeshift horses (2 bar stools and the first board I can reach). My plan is to have a laminated top out of whatever wood is available and affordable. A quick run to the local hardware store resulted in the purchase of 30 2×4x10 boards for $60. I’ve cut and glued the legs down (36” pieces of 2×4 laminated) and spent the day today cutting tenons with a plunge router. ...
The Great Garage Reorganization and Shop Improvement Act #9: Getting benched and board (pegboard that is)
I finally got around to a little more work in the garage/shop. I started building a new workbench and I finally got some pegboard put up. First, the workbench. I wanted to rebuild my existing workbench to make the top a little bigger and so I could add a vise and bench dogs. As I was contemplating how to do this, a Shop Notes magazine came in the mail with a nice, inexpensive design that I thought would work well for me. Torsion box workbench I got started on it and it was coming ...
I’d pretty much run out of excuses for not starting the Big Bench Build. Every week at church I see the kind woman who arranged for me to get all that beautiful lumber for free. I always fear the question, “So have you built it yet?” Don’t ask me why it has been hard to motivate myself to do it. I think maybe it’s because I’ve been planning this workbench for years – literally – and in my head maybe it’s become this grand opus that, despit...
Here’s the small vise, all cleaned up. About 12 hours in the Evapo-Rust soak, and another rubdown with WD-40. I might paint it, or might not. I haven’t decided yet. Since this is a metal jawed vise, it definitely needs some face blocks added. When I install it on my bench-to-be, I’ll cut a recess for the bench side plate, and then add a face block over….. maybe part of a full skirt face on the side of the bench. I’m not real clear on this bit yet...
This is my small vise. It’s about 50 years old, and was hand made by the original owner from scrap metal. His son later sold it to my father in law, who replaced the center screw and re-welded the whole thing. All this work, my FIL tells me, both his repairs and the original fabrication, was done over lunch hours at the steel mill. I’ve given it a good spray with WD-40, and gone at it with #3 steel wool. I got some of the paint off, and some of the rust, but ...
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up the lumber for my workbench project. Not maple, not beech, not birch, not even southern yellow pine. That’s right, I’m making it out of local SPF – Spruce/Pine/Fir. You see, to make a bench out of hardwood, the top alone is going to cost over $300 clams. I just can’t afford that right now, but I have a growing ‘honey-do’ list and I need something better than a piece of plywood on sawhorses because of my growing l...
I mentioned that I wanted to finish trying to rehab my old wooden screw before I start my bench, since it will determine the size of the hole I bore into my leg (for the leg vise) and whether or not I’ll have to mortise the nut into the leg. If the screw didn’t work out, I would use my new threading kit (1 1/2”) and simply tap the hole in the leg – no nut required. So now that I’m mostly done, I have mixed feelings. But first, the pics. Here’s the “...
I have one workbench, which is kind of universal. It started as glued together two office table tops, lying on something quickly made from 2×4. Whole construction is attached to the garage wall for stability. Heh, it proved as not fancy thing but pretty good start. Later it started to be evolutionary changed. I added front vise, made bench dog wholes, and began to dress top with oak edging. I could work on it without problem, but … since I do not have a lot working surface, these t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1484 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1508 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 240 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 203 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries