Hello. This morning I took the clamps off the glue up assembly and scraped the glue squeeze-out off. The joint turned out nice and the top surfaces are all within a 1/32” of being flush. I then chamfered the dog holes and laid out were I wanted the holdfast holes to be. I placed all but the first and last holes, flush to the front of the dogholes, so I can place a batten across a bench dog and holdfast. They are also positioned so the holdfasts reach the edge of the b...
Hello. I have just finished joining and glueing up the two doghole strips and the top slab. First I milled the 8 3/8” wide slab top to length by crosscutting it roughly and using a router with a straight bit and straight edge to square it up nicely. With the two doghole strips I crosscut them on the table saw. I was impressed to find the saw made an almost perfect finish on the endgrain. I then marked where the threaded rod will go and marked out the position of the dog holes which a...
Hello. This is another update on my bench build. I have had almost two months off working on it because my friend has been in my shop working on his bench. But just over a week ago we took his almost done bench to his house for him to do the final fitting of parts and such. After doing a little organizing and sharpening I got back to work on my bench. So right now I have the legs and parts for the top all milled to thickness and width. This is the slab for the roubo half of my bench. Its 2...
A lot of people have been asking about building a workbench. A workbench is really the most important part of any wood shop. Here’s a workbench that is quite sturdy and will last for years. If you are just getting into woodworking, it’s a simple first project. If you are already woodworking, this can be customized in a lot of different ways. It ain’t pretty, but it will take a lot of abuse, which, in my mind, is what a workbench should do.
Last time, I had finished assembly of the benchtop but had neglected to get any pictures of it right-side up. I moved it onto the bed in the spare bedroom near my work area to make room for sizing up the leg stock. I purchased poplar for the base of the bench since it is relatively inexpensive. I read something recently about poplar not being a good choice for a workbench base (not sure what the reasoning was), but I have already purchased it and done much of the sizing of parts from it. I...
I wanted to do this for a long time and had the parts ordered and delivered a while ago, but one thing led to another and this was kept on the back burner and never saw the light of day. Ironically, it is now finished but still with no light of day as it is almost 11pm… All it gets is the light of the moon (which some may say is better). I really liked benchcrafted wagon vise (even a free plug for them) But for what it is I think it’s a bit overpriced (for a vise). Don’t ...
Newest addition to the ongoing project is a new table for my mini lathe. I had issues before with chips/dust collecting under the motor, causing it to get extremely hot. My solution to this was to use the table saw dust collection hood that I had laying around and inset it into the table top. I feel this will adequately stop the dust from collecting, as well as cause a stream of cool air to constantly be passing by the motor, causing it to run much cooler. After I get a chance to test o...
The base for the first bench is now assembled, this took a lot longer than I had thought it would due to the fact that my shop floor is not completely flat and I wanted the bench as flat as possible. I spent a lot of time adjusting the alignment of the joints. My cuts and previous assemblies appear to be square/flat, just the floor is out of wack. The first step was making sure the end assemblies would stand up on there own. Clamping the long cross members to get them square. After c...
I finally got around to finalizing a design so I could begin cutting the wood. I started by purchasing 2 sheets of 3/4 sanded ply and 7 2×8 fir boards, I will also be using some MDF I had on hand. “Bench in Potentia” After a new TS blade and a whole lot of ripping I went from a stack of a few boards to a stack of more smaller boards. I then put together the 2 end assemblies, this is where I made my first mistake. I have 3 different widths of boards I cut out ...
So I’m almost finished milling my materials and figured it was time to get to the design. I guess its a Roubo inspired design. I’m not going to have the leg vise at least not in the beginning but I like the apron and center slide concept with all of the dog holes. On the backside I’d like to have a cabinet/drawers. But I have a few questions and would like some feedback. To maximize cabinet height I made the backside top apron 3” high, I would like to make the botto...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1696 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1721 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries