Although I’m rather anxious to make progress on the acoustic guitar project, the recent departure of a close family friend caused me to shift gears briefly to build them a going away present. During the glue-up process, I was frustrated by the lack of suitable bench space. My old glue up table was a $50 IKEA pine piece that bit the dust some time ago…and I hadn’t yet gotten around to replacing it. From the start of the shop design process I had envisioned a mobile assembly/w...
These posts haven’t been exactly chronological. For example, in the last entry, (about finishing the underside of the top) some of the stuff I did prior to finishing the legs and stretchers, and some of it I did after. But for the sake of giving better flow to this blog, I thought I’d lump stuff together in logical parts. I digress. My drawbore pin arrived from Lee Valley recently, so I was able to finally connect all these mortis and tenon joints. As I had previously menti...
Since I couldn’t start drawboring the stretchers and legs together, I thought I’d spend my wait time finishing all the work on the underside of the bench. First, I had to make sure the underside of the top was reasonably flat. Prior to doing the final glue-up of the top, I had two 12” wide sections, each of which was run through my planer. So I knew those two sections were identical in thickness and were very flat. And I used my jointer to joint the mating edge of each s...
For the last few years, I have been doing the majority of my work on an old bench that was in my basement when I moved in. As a work surface for dropping old oily lawnmower parts or fiddling with a child’s broken toy, it was adequate. For woodworking, not so much. The height of the bench is about 36 inches and the width was a little over 3 feet. The boards have shifted over the years and the surface was very uneven. The amount of nails and screws made it impossible to safely flatten and...
So far so good, there are no surprises. No cracks or breaks. As you recall from my previous blog post the vise will not turn. There is no sense of restoring the vise if you can get to move. So this blog is about getting the screw to turn.I searched for woodworking Columbian vise information. There don’t seem to be much. What I have found so far are mostly pictures and mounting information, but not the details that I am after. Hopefully I am correct in my selection of words in describin...
I had thought that I previously finished the legs (except for mortising for the stretchers). However, after visualizing how the top would mate to the legs, I realized I needed to adjust the tenons on the two legs on the left of the bench. I’m going to be putting the left legs flush with the left edge of the top. I don’t want to be able to see the tenons from the side of the top when the project is complete. Using the table saw, I notched the tenons on the top of the legs so th...
I just got back from a woodworking tool estate sale. There were many good buys. I would of purchase a lot more but ran out of money. I spotted this woodworking vise and noticed that it is a quick release. I already got an old vice for the workbench that I am currently building, but it is not a quick release. I thought I would give it a go. I am taking a chance in buying a vise that wouldn’t turn. For $25.00, I don’t think it is much of a gamble. Here’s what I have foun...
I wanted to make the bench’s stretchers as proportionately beefy as the top and legs. Since my legs are 5” square, I figured it would work well, and look good, to make the stretchers about 3 1/2” high, and about 2 1/2” thick. So I had to AGAIN joint, plane, glue, clamp and wait some more. I’ve been getting kind of bored of doing glue-ups, so I’m glad this was the last laminating I’ll have to do on this project. I want to integrate 3/4” thick...
Now that the top is done, it’s time to start the legs and stretchers. I wanted real thick and sturdy legs, so I’m going for 5” square. Prior to starting this project, I had never done any real lamination work. I’ve glued boards together before, end-to-end, to make wider planks. But that material was only 1/2” thick. I never did anything this big before, but this whole lamination thing seemed pretty easy in concept. Sure enough, it wasn’t too bad. Now...
I had previously finished laminating the two halves that would make up the top. I made two 12” wide sections, ran each through the planer to smooth and true up the tops and bottoms, and ran each mating edge across the jointer. And as I wrote in the previous blog entry, one of the halves already has the finished wagon vise built into it. The two halves were now all done and ready to be glued. It was tricky maneuvering the two parts in the final glue up, as each section was heav...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1694 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1719 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries