First, for Terry - Step 1: Step 2: Step 3: Step 4: Kinda like eating an elephant. A little bit at a time… ——- You know how it is when you head into the shop at 9 a.m. thinking you’ve got a fairly simple task to do, should take about an hour and you can move on to the next part of the project? And then you realize you need to take care of a detail before you can do that one thing? But before you take care of the detail you need to take care of somet...
This is what I was thinking of to go up against the field stone walls around the dungeon walls. http://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workbench/wood-work-bench/print The tall back ends would have to be screwed (bolted?) to the overhead beams for support since there isn’t any way to actually attach to the field stone. Maybe I will need to add short, sturdy feet extending out onto the floor space for additional support. Thick mil. plastic sheets between the wood and wall would ...
The process for truing up the tongue and mortising the end cap for the non-vise end was the same as for the vise end, so I’ll avoid repeating myself. Once I had the end cap fit, I needed to cut the condor tails. I carefully laid out the front board and got a back shoulder cut precisely. Important, because the tails on the front board have to fit into sockets on both ends. And those sockets are at fixed locations. Once I got that right, I proceeded to cut the tails on the band saw, cl...
With the end cap being fitted and condor tail joinery cut, the next step was to start the process of fitting the wagon vise. First step: excavate the cavity where the screw/traveller will sit. I fit the edge guide attachment to my router base and adjusted it to my layout: A bunch of sawdust later, there is a cavity for the traveller: I really should move my oil rag can somewhere it won’t be a dust collector :-) Put the end cap back on to see how it looks from the other side:...
I finally got my Hybrid Woodworkers Bench mobile and ready to go. I found some different castors from Peachtree though their email specials. Told myself “gonna get this puppy runnin around my shop!” As those who follow some of my ramblings know I had put some castors with a stem into the legs of my bench but even though I found star nuts to fit the shafts and re threaded the star nuts, the stem was not long enough and the forces from the bench weight caused it to wobble. a qui...
I have been making one heck of a mess in the dungeon, lately. Seriously. But it’s a necessary mess, because I am slowly upcycling two pieces of old, beat-up furniture that had been in the dungeon for well over a decade into workbenches that will never win a beauty contest, but will surely be stout workhorses until their final day. I can only show you the one I am working on right now. The other one needs a new top. That will have to wait until this one is finished and I can store all th...
Trimming the tenon cheeks and shoulders was fairly straightforward. The hardest part was flipping the 200 lb slab every 5 minutes… There were two issues. First, the tenon shoulders weren’t coplanar. In fact, they formed a kind of X. I doubt my collar jig was that bad, so I’m inclined to think there was a lot of flex in the circ saw, and probably exacerbated by the blade burning issue. The second issue is that the tenon depth was uneven. That’s a layout problem. ...
Finally got some time to get back on the bench. After all, its only been 5 months since I last worked on it. Decided to tackle the end cap on the vise side. Condor tails for joinery, naturally :-) Popular Woodworking recently sent out an email with article from Jameel Abraham (Mr. Benchcrafted) on the process, pretty easy to follow. Link: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/make-condor-tails First, though, I laid out the tails full size and played around with sizes to get so...
I am a woodworker, an engineer, a maker, and a tinkerer. I built myself a workbench that height adjustable and completely solid that will last for generations. The full project description is here. But if your like me, you will find that a project, though completed, is never really done. I started this blog to document my starting point for any modifications and upgrades I do to the bench. See a video of the project by clicking here if you don't have flash or watch below:
(Note: This blog is the most current, as of November 16. It should be #8.)* Hello winter. We have snow on the ground but nothing like to the north in Wisconsin. Still, timing is everything. I have spent the time between my last blog and now racing the weather to complete the bench and get shop ready for the car to come back. If I had one of those little compacts this would be no big deal, likewise a large garage. But the car is a Durango and the shop is only 18×20. And my pl...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1483 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1507 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 240 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 203 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries