Hiya, Last week was all about the leg vise and this week I focused my efforts on the wagon vise. My helper hasn’t been privy to this part mainly due to it being rather machine heavy. We still have melt downs when machines are running (to be fair so do I sometimes lol) so I was flying solo for all that follows. I hope to get him out there tomorrow for more shop time but till then this is what we have. It started with this.. Then I went about making the wagon sled the same ...
Small bit of progress So today I grabbed some pine pallet wood. I cut and planed down to the sizes needed, for the face frame. Screwed them in from face, since I didnt plan ahead to use pocket screws, and didn’t want to glue them. Took a 3/8 oak dowel and cut some plugs for the screw holes. I mixed up some 1-1-1 and got 2 coats on face frame, top banding, some of the inside. Also put some on drill press stand top. Made and installed the drawers for center.One drawer Showi...
Well the other day I finally got some 3/16 hardboard and had the blue box rip it to the 24.25 inches to fit on the top. I put drops of glue in key spots to keep it from moving. I then installed a rip cutoff from my hand tool bench in slow progress, damn nails imbedded/hidden in some have me frustrated. Glued screwed and plugged this to the front edge of the top. I wiped on some Early American stain to pop the grain a bit more, it has lots of figure imho. Fast forward to today. I was up...
Today was a semi-productive day. I got two 2 timber segments glued up, and got Uncle Max off/out of the crappy mobile base. That took a bit longer than I expected, as I had to go forth and get some more hardware for the task. The trip forth ended up including dinner, and a stop at Lowe’s for some other hardware for the base, which I ended up not getting as a different approach came to mind. Pictured below is the tool I used for moving Uncle Max off the lousy base. It is heavily s...
Roubo-ish Workbench Build #3: Bump in the build, or how a crappy mobile base can bring an Italian Stallion to a halt...
So, I’ve managed to get everything face jointed and the first of the big lamination done. I’ve decided I’m going to go with 8 segments in each half, at least for the moment. The first big lamination was 4 segments, and I had intended to do 3 more 4 segment laminations. That plan has changed though, for two reasons. First, getting all four segments to align turned out to be more trouble than expected. Second, too messy. I’m going to do them in pairs, then glue the...
Rather than try to lump this in with all the other things, I decided an ongoing project format was probably best for this one. My buddy had an old workbench top from some school workshop….not sure exactly where he got it, and it’s probably not a standard depth, but it worked out great for this project. I had the contractors save as much of the spare lumber as they could from the renovations that were happening on my building last winter, so the legs are made of 2” x 6̶...
Yes, another workbench build blog series. Not exactly a novel topic, and I will strive to keep the series to less than novel length as well. Of course, given how long this build has been simmering, if I posted on it once a week, it would be closing on Russian novel length. So, some quick background. I’ve been working wood for about 15 years now, not that my output would give much hint of that. Still, I have graduated from using a Black & Decker Workmate (a wondrous, underrate...
Yet another weekend and yet another couple days of shop time with the boy working on his bench. I have been trying to sneak in there as much as I can without him to kinda skip ahead a bit. I am not sure he has the attention span for a drawn out workbench build (ahem Stef.. ) so we need to get this thing moving lol. It all started on Saturday with the through mortises for the front legs. I was luckily able to get the oh so boooring job of laying out the mortises done while he was napping...
In my above video I share a recent visit that I made to the newly finished woodworking workshop of Frank Klausz. Frank is a world-renowned cabinetmaker and teacher who received his training in his father’s pre-electrical workshop in the mountains of Hungary. See the original blog post here. Before you ask, look at the bottom of this article for a list of all the tools that Frank mentioned in the video. When I first arrived at Frank Klausz’s home I was warmly greeted by Frank,...
The construction of the new garage last fall gave me a clean slate for setting up my small shop. The lone survivor in terms of shop furniture from that leaky, damp mess was my workbench. It survived several months in public storage and the trip back and forth. The top is solid and heavy and I don’t like to waste. It reminded me of how far I have come in my wood working and how much more I still have to learn. I scrapped the base but kept the top, thinking about how best to ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1451 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1475 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 235 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries