finally getting to work on the actual bowling alley part of the “bowling alley workbench”, although I really found Damian’s comment on a previous installment entertaining, and might refer to it from now as the “Alley Workbench”...lol. The top as can be seen in the sketchup model is made of 6 different components: Main Slab (nails and all), Dog holes strip, buffer strip, 2 skirts (front and back) and a breadboard End Cap. In reality this will change slightly...
I found some more time to work on the bench. I glued up the base stretchers. I used the draw pin mortise technique where the dowel pin holes through the mortises were slightly forward of the holes through the mortises. When I tapped the dowels through, they pulled the stretchers tight against the posts. One of the nicest things about this is no clamps while the glue is drying. I was working alone on the top, so I was unable to do the “glue up three and send a batch through the plan...
July, and it was pouring rain here in Boston, MA. for the past week. go figure. (although today it cleared out which is really nice). but enough about the weather (as if this will stop us). After completing the basic construction for the leg ends last installment. It was now the time to connect those with rails. The rails are 45” long with 2 1/2” tenon sticking on each side (to a total length of 50” – do the math). They are made of 2 2×4 that were jointed/plane...
I’ve decided that I’m going to build the Holtzapffel Workbench based on Christopher Schwarz’s article in Woodworking Magazine. You can see a picture of the workbench from the magazine cover. Also, here is a video of Chris actually demonstrating the workbench. Too see the video, you have to select the Workshop category and then select Holtzapffel Workbench. I picked this bench because I want to get better with hand-tools and I need the sophisticated clamping capability ...
So I had my order all lined up: 123 board feet of kapur wood. But I couldn’t pull the trigger. Why? The price. The total cost of the lumber needed for my workbench would have been $212. Maybe that’s not a lot; I don’t know what lumber costs are like where you are. But it’s about $50 more than I expected to have to pay, and in our world, $50 is a lot of money. While I was there, I did find out that they have four different kinds of wood: nyatoh, selangan batu, kapur ...
OK, who am i kidding? I couldn’t just stay away! I am trying to limit myself, though. So as a reward for studying, i allowed myself to cut a few tenons.From Roubo SLumberMy circular saw was doing a crap job even though i set it for shallow cuts, and it actually started smoking! So i had to cut the tenons by hand. Way more enjoyable. Again, i love my shark saw! Below is a comparison between the cuts. Can you guess which is the hand-sawn tenon?From Roubo SLumberYep, the one on the right.W...
Well today was the first day that I actually did any work on this bench. Some time ago (maybe 3 years?) I saw an ad in Kijiji for some wood that a lady was selling her in the city. Her dad had passed on and as a former woodworker, he had left a whole bunch of wood behind. By the time I saw the ad and got there, most of the good stuff was gone. I did get a few nice wide mahogany boards, and then a couple of old barn beams. The two big ones were 8’ long and there were a few shorter pieces...
Didn’t have much shoptime lately, which made me try to squeeze every moment I got to try and make the most of it, which lead to rushing, which lead to screw up – but I’ll write more about that in a following installment and leave this one a bit more on the positive side. Last time I ran into the issue of having a not-square top part to work with. I fixed that by routing the edge at a 0.1 degree angle to straighten the front of the slab and make it parallel to the front 2 ...
It was a bit dreary out today. I had a little tea in the afternoon and that motivated me to get out and finish the cabinet. Getting ready to assemble ten drawers. The plan: Staple the heck out of it.Getting ready to assemble ten drawers. With the four sides together I applied a bead of glue along the bottom edge.You can see the alignment mark. The ply panel is glued and stapled flush to the drawer front. The finished “masterwork” Notice the copious plane shavi...
Once I had my two larger bench sections glued up I ran them through the planer… And chopped the ends square I used my biscuit jointer to align the two laminated “slabs,” since after this glue up it will be too big to run through my thickness planer: Two slabs glued up: And now glued up with the tool tray: THE BASE I spent $18.00 on 4×6 and 2×6 Doug Fir for the base at Home Depot: A little shaping of the feet on the b...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1186 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1208 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries