Got sick a little and can’t work in the shop, so it’s time to blog :-)...In total I spent quite a bit time working on leg vise, but to my excuse I had to built most of the parts from scratch except for Jim Ritter’s (aka Boatman53) chain mechanism . I’m more than happy with this chain-driven vise and highly recommend it. Jim, thank you a lot for all your effort to send your kit up here to Russia!...Ok, leg vise implies that there must be something done with the leg to...
I have made lots of progress and actually am using my new bench some, I’ve just needed to get an update here. After putting the top on the base, I marked out so I could start hand planing.I used my scrub plane to get things close, that’s the scrub plane’s results above, and then this #5 to get the top flat and without wind.Here’s a picture of the top in “near” flat and smooth. FYI, I ended up with about 45 gallons of shavings.To trim the ends to final le...
So after giving some food for though, and going back and forth between 2 designs – my original one: and the Roubo Bench (the one I was drooling over was Jameel’s bench from handcrafted vises), I decided to take the things that would work best for me today, based on materials that I have available today – while keeping an open door for future changes. here are the features I am going for: 1. wagon vise – tail vise abilities, without the sagging, and without...
I wanted to do this for a long time and had the parts ordered and delivered a while ago, but one thing led to another and this was kept on the back burner and never saw the light of day. Ironically, it is now finished but still with no light of day as it is almost 11pm… All it gets is the light of the moon (which some may say is better). I really liked benchcrafted wagon vise (even a free plug for them) But for what it is I think it’s a bit overpriced (for a vise). Don’t ...
I started working on my workbench and was able to spend some time on it last week while my wife was in Maine. It is a combination of ideas I gained while studying others, and I am sort of making it up as I go along. I used Douglas Fir as it was easy to find, and I was able to purchase some fairly clean pieces at the Home Depot. It was quite wet when I got it, and it has been drying for several weeks now. I milled it to almost final dimension and now it is drying some more, and what I thin...
So, we left off with this pile of steel waiting to be turned into a wagon vise… I started with one of the thin pieces. I measured and scored a line the full length to mark the depth of the channel for the 2 rails. Measured for the rail length.. Then with this piece on top I stacked all 3 pieces and clamped them together and cut the first rail to length with a cut off wheel in my angle grinder. Gotta love the smell of burnt metal in the morning :D Next w...
I’ve been thinking about this for a while. I’m a contract engineer so we have to move every few years. My shop is usually one side of a two car garage with makeshift shelves. I sometimes add some cheap cabinets but end up leaving them when we move. A good dust collection system is out of the questions so I usually do a lot of my work in the driveway. This means carry saw horses and plywood for makeshift benches and wheeling tools on rollers in and out. There are many trips back an...
For about a year now I’ve been trying to refine the detail of my parallel jaw leg vise and I think I’ve got all the kinks worked out. My son put together this video of the bench I built this past winter that uses the chain leg vise. I’m in the process of getting quotes for the parts so I can offer these for sale. I’ve been making all the parts myself up to this point and I’m not a cnc. Take a look at the video and I welcome comment and discussions. It can be ret...
So it’s been a long time since my last post, had a bit of down time where I went on vacation and did odds and ends but I’d been making slow and steady progress on the top. I can’t believe how much trouble I had gluing a bunch of sticks together :) All my issues stemmed from the fact that I didn’t have a good way of surfacing such long pieces. My 6” jointer just wasn’t up to the task so I faffed around trying to do it other ways. I eventually used a huge ...
I had some good progress on the top today. it actually started a couple of days ago when I went ahead, cleaned up the buffer strip, and main top, and glued them up together, I also milled the end cap part (which is on top of the clamps in the photo): I also ground down one of the corner of the Lee-Valley Tailvise Nut so that I’ll be able to install the vise higher up and the nut will have less interference with the table top: I’m not a machinist, nor work with metal much (al...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1584 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1609 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries