I have my top glued up and still in the middle of the living room floor. My wife has been pretty patient about this, but I think it is wearing thin. She keeps telling me I’m going to way up to a bunch of smaller cutting boards if I don’t move it soon. Gotta get going! I’ve got my legs sized and glued up and I’m ready to start cutting mortises. I took the day off from work so I could play a little tomorrow. Not had much time off here lately. All work makes Kelly stir...
Now that the end assemblies are finished, it’s time to see about getting the stretchers rigged up. They use a home-made bed bolt system that consists of a bolt that goes through the leg and into the stretcher where you make a mortise to receive a nut. In retrospect I should have just ordered bed bolts from Highland Woodworking. For more info on bed bolt joints, see this Fine Woodworking article. Here you can see the mortises and the nuts that went into them. I used a forstner bit...
I’ve been wanting to build a bench for a long time now. My brother bought me a LV large vise quite awhile ago which had been the major money stumbling block at the time. Well life happens and I never built the bench. I have been using an old oak table that I had scrounged from somewhere, here it is: So today being “Louis Reil Day”...an excuse for the government to give us a day off in February… I figured I’d catch up on some projects that have been sittin...
The bench is done, the holes are drilled. The top is mostly flat (note all the shavings covering the floor). I put the first coat of finish on today. These pictures are all pre-finish but post-sanding. Here’s the top with my rehabbed #7 posing. It probably took an hour or two, all told, to flatten the thing. It’s not perfect, but it’ll do. It’s mostly flat edge to edge, but I think there’s some waviness end to end that I couldn’t di...
Trimming the tenon cheeks and shoulders was fairly straightforward. The hardest part was flipping the 200 lb slab every 5 minutes… There were two issues. First, the tenon shoulders weren’t coplanar. In fact, they formed a kind of X. I doubt my collar jig was that bad, so I’m inclined to think there was a lot of flex in the circ saw, and probably exacerbated by the blade burning issue. The second issue is that the tenon depth was uneven. That’s a layout problem. ...
Last night I got to put in a few hours on the bench project. I’ve been working on half-lapping the side rails. First marked out the dovetails then I cut them on the band saw. The upper stretcher is a full half-lapped dovetail and the bottom rails has a half-lapped dovetail only on the bottom side. The top side gets a wedge pin to complete the dovetail. After I had the dovetails cut I cut the shoulders with a hand saw then I headed over to the table saw where I used my dado head t...
Back at it. Since the plans for the workbench called for stretchers that are 1 3/4” thick by 4” wide, I had to get back to laminating. The rest of the bench so far has all been built with Lenga (Chilean Cherry, some call it), but I recently acquired a bunch of nominal 1×8 black mahogany that had been edge glued for width. I got it cheap (very cheap) because it was edge glued with no attention given to matching the color. The material is 3/4” thick, and I d...
Now that I am finally settled in to our new home near Fort Hood, Texas, the wife has allotted me a small portion of the garage to be used as my workshop. Thanks to my latest birth/anniversary day, I have also added several new tools to help the beginning process. The table saw will still have to wait. Instead I have a new circular saw, a router, orbital sander, and a few other gizmos to accessorize. Anyway, the first project I intend to get started on will be making a few clamps to assist ...
After searchiing different woodworking websites, I noticed that I was not the only one who used a workmate style workbench. I decided that since I use my workmate quite often because it is portable, that I would redo the work surface and make it more user friendly. The first thing that I did was measure the old top to decide how much bigger to make the new one. The original clamping style top was approximately 20”w x 9.5”d x .75”h when closed. The new top is 35.125R...
Not much “Progress” over the last couple days unless you consider a good cleaning of the shop progress (which I kinda do). The place had become a safety hazard and I just wasn’t able to focus on anything with all the clutter and dust about so it had to be delt with before moving forward with anything else. I started out like this.. And after a full day of cleaning and re organizing some tools I got it to a working condition.. As a side note.. the wi...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1806 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 126 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 111 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1831 entries
- dbhost - 438 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 318 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries