So in my last post, I mentioned the difficulty I was having boring the overlapping holes for the mortises that will receive the short stretchers of my bench. I was tired, but wasn’t gonna let it breaka my stride. This past Thursday was a federal holiday, and my wife graciously gave me the space and time to get in a lot of shop time. So I started with the flip side of the first mortise (from the last post) and was able to complete that and the mortises in two other legs. But when I wa...
For the version with pictures, please click here. I didn’t have a lot of time today, maybe an hour and a half. So, I spent the first hour going at the top again with the #4 plane. I made the executive decision last night to do what I can and call it. In theory, given unlimited energy and time, I could get this top to flat-level with the #4. By the time my kids are in college. Or, I could do the best I could, get it reasonable (for a first time effort) and bolt the sucker down ...
I have actually had the bench in this stage since early September when my father in law was in town to give me a hand in mounting the top, beam and all, to the sled. It went on just right the first time which was rewarding, until I looked closer at the planing beam pipes and realized I was going to have to make some adjustments on the alignment holes in the top. After several go ‘rounds, we finally got that into a workable solution. Then I raised the planing beam only to discover it ...
I did an Interview with Chris Schwarz from Lost Art Press that I posted on my blog if anyone is interested. Next week I am going to do a review of the Anarchist Tool Chest. Chris Schwarz is one of the founding members of Lost Art Press a small publishing company in Kentucky that focuses on teaching modern woodworkers traditional hand tool skills. Chris is the also the former editor of Popular Woodworking Magazine. In the next week or so I will post an article about “The Anarchist Tool ...
Well work picked up for a while so I haven’t had time to post any progress till now. In this post I will show what I had to do to get the Veritas Twin-Screw vise mounted. I originally was planning on using the Lie-Nielsen Twin-Screw vise but had to change when I realized the dog holes would interfere with the chain. The biggest issue with the change was that the instructions for the Veritas vise said you needed to have 1-1/2” of clearance from the bottom of the top for the receive...
The cabinets support the work surface which is planned for a final height of 38-39” to fit me (I’m 6’3”). I left 1/4” for shimming to make sure it’s not above the table saw surface. The outside dimensions are 20”x 20” x21-3/4” tall. Plywood edges are exposed since I didn’t want to invest the time to trim them for a workbench. The drawers are designed to use the drawer bottom as the sliding surface after an idea I’ve seen her...
Since last time I’ve been working on the base. I used 4/4 red oak, so there was lots of milling and gluing up of stock. It was a bit tedious, but I think I’m finally getting the hang of using the jointer efficiently. From the beginning I had planned to make this bench knock down in case I need to move it in the future. The original PWW bench was also knockdown, where the short and long stretchers were bolted on. I decided instead to make the two ends solid assemblies and bo...
Got a chance to push the workbench a little farther along last weekend so a quick update on my progress. When I last left off, I had dry fit the mortise and tennon joints for the legs together having primarily hand cut them with chisels. I was awaiting the arrival of my steel city drill press which finally showed up mid June or so and that lay in my garage for another couple of weeks in its box. Had a party with some guitar buidling friends and they got it up out of the box and together re...
I should note that I have built a workbench before, but had to give it up when I moved from Florida to Washington state. The old workbench never really had a proper top, and was constructed using doubled up 2×4 with lap joints and lots of bolts. You could have driven a dump truck on top of it. Since moving to Wa, I haven’t had a shop. Recently, we moved into a house, with lots of room for everyone. I dusted off my old tools, and started tinkering. I realized I NEEDED a good...
I finally got around to finalizing a design so I could begin cutting the wood. I started by purchasing 2 sheets of 3/4 sanded ply and 7 2×8 fir boards, I will also be using some MDF I had on hand. “Bench in Potentia” After a new TS blade and a whole lot of ripping I went from a stack of a few boards to a stack of more smaller boards. I then put together the 2 end assemblies, this is where I made my first mistake. I have 3 different widths of boards I cut out ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1366 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1389 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 392 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 157 entries