Due to a change of circumstances in my life, I recently moved from Nashville, Tennessee to Boston, Massachusetts. In the process I lost my garage workshop and gained a very small room in a dingy basement. Due the the space and noise constraints I have decided to try my luck with hand tools instead of the power tools I have relied on in the past. Since my bench was left in Tennessee, I decided that the first thing I needed to build a new workbench. One that was sturdy, solid, hand made, ...
I began working on the mortises in the top and had a complete relapse in talent. The first one was horrible. I used a drill guide I bought from Sears in hopes of everything being perpendicular and cleaner. Boy was I partially wrong. The first one came out horrible, but cleaned up so,so. I’m so glad this wasn’t one of the mortises in the base. I started trying to use a 1-1/2” fostner bit but eventually downsized to a 1-3/8” and chose to clean them up with a chisel. I was having a hard time sta...
To see the post with pictures, please click here. I got back to work shaping the chop for my leg vise today. I have had one too many instances of thinking, “mam, this would be a lot easier if I had that vise done…” on various projects in the last fee weeks. Right! Time to get to work! I spent about 45 minutes paring away the side today trying to match the bevel and shap of the first side I did a while ago. I think it came out pretty good… And here it is ...
These are all helpful objects that cost next to nothing to build. The more precise, the better they are. Mine are hardly precise. Most work in concert with the bench or are part of it. Starting from the beginning. Crosscutting or ripping on a sawbench. Here I have an extension shop bent. I got this idea from the Close Grain blog and plan from Tom Fidgen’s Made by Hand book. Crosscutting using a bench hook. Simple bench hook. I raise the planing stop to support th...
So, the top needed skirts, obviously, so time to laminate again. This time, I used 3 pieces of 1×8 black walnut. This gave me a skirt that is 2 1/4” thick, and 6 3/4” wide – after cleaning up the edges. I glued up enough blanks for the front skirt, two end skirts, and chops for both vises. I did not get very many pictures of this process, as I had plenty of lamination pics earlier….I will say that these skirts were BEEFY! And heavy. So, now I had to figure...
Have you ever started a project, given yourself a budget and a time frame… and then well… you go over budget… and you need that new tool… oh and you got busy, or had to redo something… and well… If you haven’t; welcome to woodworking. I’m sure you’ll enjoy your first project and many more to come. At the start of 2009 I decided I wanted to build a new workbench. I was taking on a new job so I decided 12 months would be a good time fr...
I’m sure there are those of you interested in how much this thing weighs and (more importantly) how much it cost to build. A quick volume estimate puts the total amount of wood at ~5 cubic feet. Considering an average specific gravity of about 0.60 (range for SYP is 0.54 – 0.65, and the hickory is more than that), the weight is: (5 cu. ft.)(62.4 lbs/cu. ft.)(0.60) = 187 lbs So, the wood alone is about 190 lbs. Factor in the weight of the vise hardware and the many metal...
Last time I laid out my equipment purchase plans. No progress on purchases though I have decided on the Ridgid TS3650 contractor saw. I see the Woodworking show is coming to Milwaukee in February and that is only 5 hours south for me, so I may see what kind of deal I can snag there on a table saw. I’ve spent the last few evenings working on my core skills. Marking out, cutting, fitting and basically getting used to how certain things behave. This includes trying out my new Bosch CS20...
I thought I would just catch up on some pics of my progress so far. In the back of my mind, I am hoping to build a workbench that will last for 100 years—something solid and substantial. At the same time, I am doing it on a grad school budget. So those two things are mostly incompatible but we will see how close we get. This is my first time building a project with hardwood and the first workbench I have ever built. I am building it for my father for a belated Christmas gift (I couldn...
Hello. I am now almost done the bench top. The tailvise still needs to be made and I need to glue the shoulder vise together, but the majority of work is done. Since my last post I finished the splines for the shoulder vise and tapped the nut for the vise, and cut the detail out. This is a 2 1/2” diamter nut with 2 tpi. I am making a video of the process of tapping the nut. I also finished the splines for the end caps and drilling the holes for the bolts. The bolts and splines ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1393 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1417 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 171 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries