I put my wooden screw build on hold for a minute. While I ordered the router bit I needed to build the thread cutting jig I made some progress on the top. Here is a quick review from previous blogs of how I got to this point: The raw materials:Started with a green table I got for free from a cabinet shop. Very cupped due to the piths in the slabs. Cut out the piths. I ended up with the good parts which were all quarter sawn, about 2.5” Red Oak. The knots will be hidden on th...
This is my interpretation of this cleverly designed bench by Fine Woodworking’s shop manager, John White. There have been a few mentions of this bench on the site and I have been eagerly anticipating having the time to build my version of the bench. I’ve had the lumber for about a month but had to sacrifice time in the shop to get our condo ready for sale this summer. Those preparations are all behind KT and I now and I can finally work in the shop when I want to. We’ve h...
After finishing the mockup of the face vise, I was now ready to do it for real. I started by gluing up a couple piece of oak for the main chop. You saw me use my new planer sled to mill the two large faces flat. I used the mockup to locate and cut the 2 main holes for the screws.I used a regular hole saw on my drill press to cut the holes. It was slow going through the hard oak, but I made it through. Next I wanted to dress up and round over the ends of the chop. I layout a small reveal...
So after we've got the bowling alleys. now it’s time to put them to to use (not really ‘now now’ but … you know what I mean). So, I really would like to make this one a keeper, and not have to redo this bench unless I really fancy it in the future with lots of extra time on my hands and nothing better to do with it (hence – not likely it’ll happen), and in order to do that, I figured I’ll make this one as close as I can to the ‘ultimate’...
Hello, this is probably my last workbench blog entry, now that my bench is complete! Like I said in my last blog, the workbench has been complete a couple weeks before this post on November 12. With my last post I had wrote about completing the base. After I had the base assembled, glued up, and drawbored I placed the bench top onto the base. Previous to putting the top on the base I had put one coat of boiled linseed oil on the underside of the top. The top is removable from the base, I deci...
I found some time and got the vises installed. First the endcap and the front maple edge were dovetailed, the endcap routed to receive the tongue formed on the end of the Douglas fir, and then both glued into place. This was the first time I really cut dovetails by hand, and it was kind of fun. It is surprising how strong the resulting joint is. The endcap was only glued at the corner, and their will be a lag bolt near the back to allow wood movement. There is a story behind the walnut...
OK, lets get started. I will go through the build process in the same order that I built the bench and as a non-working concept of wedge power would have been a deal breaker, the first job was to build a wagon vice or two to make sure they would work. I was fortunate enough to find a small local mill that would sell me some really nice local arbutus (madrone in USA). This is about 50 fbm and I have about ten left over. After milling up some nice 1 7/8” stock and a bit of 3”...
It’s a trend hotter than “skinny jeans”- woodworkers are lovin’ them some Roubo! Stumpy teaches you all about the classic, eighteenth century workbench, then builds one out of cheap construction lumber! Watch here, then return to leave a comment so Stumpy doesn't feel left out! The Old Timey Workshop is a monthly podcast produced independently of Blue Collar Woodworking. It will feature woodworking projects built with the tools and techniques of the past, while f...
Well, I finally sat down last night night and drew up the shop. This was the first attempt, so it may change some. Also most of the tools/cabinets are very rough or borrowed. I’ll try to get them better when gets closer to constructing them. I’ll start you out on the East wall. Most of this is already set in stone you might say. I am planning on putting a pipe rack over the double garage door. May get used for dimensional lumber storage as well. On the left is my double ...
Got sick a little and can’t work in the shop, so it’s time to blog :-)...In total I spent quite a bit time working on leg vise, but to my excuse I had to built most of the parts from scratch except for Jim Ritter’s (aka Boatman53) chain mechanism . I’m more than happy with this chain-driven vise and highly recommend it. Jim, thank you a lot for all your effort to send your kit up here to Russia!...Ok, leg vise implies that there must be something done with the leg to...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries