Well work picked up for a while so I haven’t had time to post any progress till now. In this post I will show what I had to do to get the Veritas Twin-Screw vise mounted. I originally was planning on using the Lie-Nielsen Twin-Screw vise but had to change when I realized the dog holes would interfere with the chain. The biggest issue with the change was that the instructions for the Veritas vise said you needed to have 1-1/2” of clearance from the bottom of the top for the receive...
Since last time I’ve been working on the base. I used 4/4 red oak, so there was lots of milling and gluing up of stock. It was a bit tedious, but I think I’m finally getting the hang of using the jointer efficiently. From the beginning I had planned to make this bench knock down in case I need to move it in the future. The original PWW bench was also knockdown, where the short and long stretchers were bolted on. I decided instead to make the two ends solid assemblies and bo...
Got a chance to push the workbench a little farther along last weekend so a quick update on my progress. When I last left off, I had dry fit the mortise and tennon joints for the legs together having primarily hand cut them with chisels. I was awaiting the arrival of my steel city drill press which finally showed up mid June or so and that lay in my garage for another couple of weeks in its box. Had a party with some guitar buidling friends and they got it up out of the box and together re...
I should note that I have built a workbench before, but had to give it up when I moved from Florida to Washington state. The old workbench never really had a proper top, and was constructed using doubled up 2×4 with lap joints and lots of bolts. You could have driven a dump truck on top of it. Since moving to Wa, I haven’t had a shop. Recently, we moved into a house, with lots of room for everyone. I dusted off my old tools, and started tinkering. I realized I NEEDED a good...
I finally got around to finalizing a design so I could begin cutting the wood. I started by purchasing 2 sheets of 3/4 sanded ply and 7 2×8 fir boards, I will also be using some MDF I had on hand. “Bench in Potentia” After a new TS blade and a whole lot of ripping I went from a stack of a few boards to a stack of more smaller boards. I then put together the 2 end assemblies, this is where I made my first mistake. I have 3 different widths of boards I cut out ...
I had previously finished laminating the two halves that would make up the top. I made two 12” wide sections, ran each through the planer to smooth and true up the tops and bottoms, and ran each mating edge across the jointer. And as I wrote in the previous blog entry, one of the halves already has the finished wagon vise built into it. The two halves were now all done and ready to be glued. It was tricky maneuvering the two parts in the final glue up, as each section was heav...
Now that the top is done, it’s time to start the legs and stretchers. I wanted real thick and sturdy legs, so I’m going for 5” square. Prior to starting this project, I had never done any real lamination work. I’ve glued boards together before, end-to-end, to make wider planks. But that material was only 1/2” thick. I never did anything this big before, but this whole lamination thing seemed pretty easy in concept. Sure enough, it wasn’t too bad. Now...
For all the pictures, please click here. Note: This was supposed to have been posted Saturday the 25th… I wasn’t sure how much time I’d have today to work on the bench so instead of charging ahead with measuring the height of the legs to get ready for installing the top, I decided to do some more mundane tasks. They still are in general preparation for the top, but I just wasn’t planning on doing them first. Before I get going though, I had mentioned yestrday...
So I began the build with the top, figuring that I could use it to build the base. The wife bought me a Vika for Christmas so it is my temporary work bench (along with my trusty, old, Workmate and saw horses).As you may have seen in my earlier entry, the top was to consist of two, 8 piece laminations. I face planed them with my #7 to ensure good glue up and glued them at the same time as two separate chunks. Here was my first screw-up (should have planed them four square). This was clos...
I think the blog series will be in order from here forward. I haven’t had a lot of time to allocate to the workbench project lately, but was able to get the additional plane blades and sharpen and hone them. Much more pleasant to have a couple extras at hand and take nice shavings. It is such a great feeling to have a plane well tuned and work a piece of wood. visible above is a shot of the planing beam as I finished up one side. I have a combination square resting on it and got ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1197 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1219 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries