It didnt turn out well, still licking my wounds. Here is briefly what happened… Made a new jigAfter one test screw, I successfuly made one that had reasonable little chipping, I was happy with it.I actually cut the hub off a reject screw and reused it on this one. Tapped the leg Tried the screw, but it binds up after a little bit. I kept tapping the threads deeper and deeper hoping it would fit but it wasn’t the diameter of the hole, it was the thread pitch, and since the...
I might have an opportunity to acquire enough stock (free) to build a workbench but it is Clairo Walnut. I am not sure if a dark workbench is a good thing. I know it would be gorgeous but how practical would it be? I was only able to find one dark workbench on the internet. Here is a photo of the one I found: Beggars can’t be choosers. But I would be tempted to build furniture with the walnut and wait for something else to build the bench. But I would really like to build a be...
Hello Friends, I’m long overdue for an update so there are a lot of pictures. I’ve made quite a bit of progress but the ending is not so happy I’m afraid, after reassembling the parts last night I discovered an error I will have to fix. The great thing about woodworking is that almost anything is fixable, it’s just frustrating. You’ll see what I mean at the end. As usual, I’ll let the pictures do most of the explaining: Cut the shoulders on the angled te...
I think most of you have seen a lot of these pics on other thread but I’ll post them here for the Blog with more detail. As you know last time I tried to carve my screw by hand, it worked but was slow going. So I built the router jig but have been having trouble dialing it in perfectly. Here is the router jig I made. As you can see its a loose fit which is why I got a lot of chipping in the tips of the thread, I was cutting to deep. This is what happened when I fed my hand car...
Ok folks we have some momentum going here and have made some real progress lately. We’re getting close to the end. So the idea is, flatten the top, glue and bolt on the tool tray, then plane to tray to be coplanar with the top. First I chamfer the dog holes, I do this again after flattening. I figure I want to avoid spelching when planning the top by chamfering them beforehand. I’m not ashamed to say I used a routah (Norm accent) Patched a couple of holes from when this top wa...
One of my goals in renting the space for a shop is to build all of my shop fixtures in anticipation of moving them to my own permanent shop in a future home where I’ll have the dedicated space for one. I cannot make a move now as my folks are elderly and in need assistance at this point. However, renting the space for this shop has offered me some time away from the stresses that unfortunately accompany the aforementioned. I come here and tune out other issues until I return home. R...
Here is my latest progress. This blog is too damn long, I need to remember to do these more often and break them up. Sorry about that. Mostly pictures though. Questions and Comments are welcome! THE WELL BACK:Trying to “Steam Bend” the tool well back straight. Notice the dowle I used to get the clamp as far out of the way as possible. Hit it with the heat gun Got it straight enough to joint one side and run through the planner without losing too much thickness This...
I have just arrived back in Az for the winter and have decided I need a good workbench. The one I have at home in Canada is great but it’s too big for my little carport shop here so I have redesigned it a little and am going to take it on as a challenge to build the”best bang for the buck”workbench. It is really a challenge for myself but if anyone wants to take it up and give me a run for it you are absolutely welcome. With luck the outcome will be a cheap, easy to build...
Bowling Alley Workbench #6: There is more than 1 way to skin a cat - not so with bowling alley floors though - finally success
Yes. Finally some light at the end of the tunnel, reverse thinking, and this project seems a bit more doable, and even not much trouble at all. Originally I tried to get the (2.5” hardened) nails out by using a cat’s paw and a hammer to pull each nail out of the 2.5 laminated hard-rock maple strips. I figured once I get all the nails out of the top strip, it’ll just free it from the lamination, and be nails free… one strip at a time, until I have them all cleared ou...
Hello again friends, I’m made a lot more progress since my last post so I will break it up into a couple of posts. These are pretty straight forward, I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking. Deadman: BrandonW gave me this piece of Jatoba when we first met, Thanks again Brandon! I decided to use it for my deadman. Here I’m using the Paul Sellers trick for a makeshift end vise, it works ok but I cant wait to have a wagon vise. Very dense wood but it planes...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries