For quite some time now (I’m guessing about 3 or 4 years), I have wanted to build a proper workbench. However, due to my job, a new baby (in 2013), loss of a job (in 2013), a new job (2013-14), significant income reduction due to new job (2013-14), another new job with significant income increase (Sept 2014), a move for the new job (Oct 2014), and all around procrastination and excuses, I haven’t made it happen. That is, until now. My family went back to the hometown for Christ...
This part of the project was huge and, not to totally plug a product, but thank god for a Kreg Jig. So first up the center-line rear leg, a 2×10, was installed (pics showing it later on in this post). Then the main 2×4 support of the shelf was installed…after a problem. When I built the legs, I used bolts to provide superior holding power. One of these bolts, on each leg, turned out to be problematic. They were sticking out the inside of the bench a bit too far. Some cut...
Had about 3 hours in the shop Saturday to shape the chop. The basic shaping is done, just need to fair out a couple sections, sand and finish. Started out by drawing some curves. It may not be obvious, but there are two curves on each side. You’ll see why shortly…. I laid out the inner curve on a piece of scrap MDF, which I’ll be using as a template. Cut that out on the bandsaw Try to do this in one smooth motion. Once it was cut out, I sand the bandsaw mar...
Installed Shelf Boards Before I started on the dogs and deaman, I installed the shelf boards. Screwed into the cleats at both ends. Of Dogs On to the dogs. I followed a diagram I found on the Benchcrafted site (sorry, don’t have link), and made the body of the dogs from jatoba. Springs from ash. The springs were easy – just sliced off the side of a piece of ash. The dogs were a bit more complex shape. Mostly done on the table saw, with one of the cuts on the bandsa...
So the last few days have proven to be highly productive. Before moving the workbench to its final position I decided to ahead and hang the pegboard as not having 2’ of desk between you and the wall helps.I decided on doing an 8’ long by 35” high pegboard. Its significantly smaller than my previous 4’x8’ pegboard. There is roughly about a foot between the top of the pegboard and the ceiling. I plan to put a shelf up there to hold plastic boxes like my Kreg kit...
I knew today was going to be a good day. Got out to the shop and started assembling the base. Well, back up a bit – had to clean up and organize some, move the desk/bench thingy to the wall and lay out where exactly I wanted the new bench to be placed. Once it is all together, it will not be moveable without a lot of effort. Ah, on to the base. Laid the tape down where I wanted it to go and set the legs in place. Added the stretchers Right about this time, Dad came by. Perfe...
I’ve been (very) slowly plugging away at my workbench here and there. I think I finally have made enough progress for another post. I noticed that the 2×6 that I had for my last leg was pretty twisted and knotty. I glued it up to see if I could just plane out the twist, but it proved to be a royal pain in the butt, and I figured it would only complicated matters down the line, so I went to the store and picked through the pile until I found a nice straight one. This one glued up...
While I did most of the odds and ends yesterday, there were a few things I needed to do today to get everything ready to assemble. First, I have a location conflict with the leg closest to the wagon vise and the first dog hole: I knew this going in – I need a leg close to the end of travel for the wagon vise, but the dog hole spacing was going to be less than the leg width. For the holes around the leg vise leg, I simply added a bit of space between two holes, but for the leg clos...
As promised, two more days of work as produced results. I did get one surprise through this process. I expected the whole thing to be sturdy, that is how its designed after all. I might have gone a bit overboard. It actually takes effort to make it wiggle at all and my female hung off of one side and shook around, the bench didn’t move. So success there. Anyways, on with the pictures. So the legs are done, obviously, here is what they look like with their first of two cross pieces...
Well, I discovered I didn’t take any pictures of fitting the tenons to the mortises. Probably because it was kind of tedious and a little bit boring. The first step was to cut the tenons. For the side stretchers, I cut them the same way I cut the large tenons on the legs – with the table saw. Shoulders first, then stand the piece up and cut the cheeks. Then I squared up each mortise and used a router plane, a rasp and/or a float to fit each tenon in turn. Three of the 8 teno...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries