Things are moving right along. One thing I knew I would need for this project was a 3/4” upcut router bit I could do plunge cuts with for the dog holes, as well as for routing a groove in the top for the sliding deadman. I didn’t want to spend a fortune for a carbide bit so I tried the HSS bit from MLCS (item #7498). Overall I was very happy with it; more later. Once I had the end vise installed I could decide exactly where to mount the top on the base. With the base upsid...
I got your attention with that title, so here’s the picture….. I began to cut the hole for the vise two nights ago, last night I actually got it mounted. I had to use 3 layers of plywood to get the clearance I needed to mount it. (I’ll try and get a picture of that when I’m under the bench again. I’m not picking it up again if I can help it.) I had my 10 year old nephew help me mount it and here are the results… I have one coat of BLO ...
I’ve been “done” with this project for nearly two weeks at this point, but I feel I should close this out. Along with the bench, I felt the need to showcase some of my favorite tools. I plan to update this blog with some of the uses for the gap that I can come up with…
Well, I finally completed the workbench. This was based on the Torsion Box Workbench from Shop Notes magazine July 2010. The construction for this was going along nicely until I inadvertently drilled the wrong size dog holes in the edging! Luckily I was able to rip the edges off using the table saw and make new ones. The top was sized to fit the mobile shop cart underneath for storage. Although it seems I won’t be storing it away very often, it is nice to have the op...
Hello. I have now finished the mortise and tenons for the base and have them all fit. Here are the two base assemblies put together. The assembly closest to view still needs a thin leg installed on its right side. You can see the tenons on top of each assembly which will be going into mortises in the bench top. Here is a view of the leg assemblies from the Roubo side of the bench, with the front legs that will be flush to the bench top side and the tenons that will be mortised into the ...
I did a trade for some woodwork with a guy who had a garage full of lumber and several nice hand tools. Most of the lumber was Oak. I don’t really like working with Oak. But I thought it would be perfect for a bench, and there was enough of it. I got lots of different lengths and widths. Most of it was 3/4”. I forgot to take a “before” photo of the stack but here is a sample: Now I intend to make a nice, sturdy bench, but its going to be more functional than ...
I see many beautiful pieces of work on LJ. The creators are true artists … I am not. I love working with wood. I love the process, watching the raw material turn into something solid and useful. But my skills are not exceptional. Neither are my tools and the materials I work with. I am the average guy. I try to learn new things on every project. I try to avoid repeating my mistakes. I try to have fun. I just finished my first “real” workbench. For more than 20 years I hav...
Shortly after I found a Sjobergs bench at an auction, I came across an elderly woodworker in my neighborhood that was giving up his shop for health reasons. I heard he had a Shopsmith for sale, and being who I am, I couldn’t resist a visit to see if I might add yet another one to my shop. Alas, it wasn’t to be. He wanted too much for it. ( I like to find them cheap) He did, however, have a workbench he had built some 50 years ago that he was selling for $75. While the lower par...
I finally got some shop time this weekend and had a chance to complete my leg vise. After my last building session, I had left it basically functional, but lacking a couple bells and whistles to make it really nice. The first addition was a guide wheel on the underside of the parallel guide. I bought another plastic wheel from Woodcraft and mounted it below the guide. It looks like it could become an ankle biter, but I haven’t run into any problems yet. It’s only pock...
I’m sure there are those of you interested in how much this thing weighs and (more importantly) how much it cost to build. A quick volume estimate puts the total amount of wood at ~5 cubic feet. Considering an average specific gravity of about 0.60 (range for SYP is 0.54 – 0.65, and the hickory is more than that), the weight is: (5 cu. ft.)(62.4 lbs/cu. ft.)(0.60) = 187 lbs So, the wood alone is about 190 lbs. Factor in the weight of the vise hardware and the many metal...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1559 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1584 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries