I’m sure there are those of you interested in how much this thing weighs and (more importantly) how much it cost to build. A quick volume estimate puts the total amount of wood at ~5 cubic feet. Considering an average specific gravity of about 0.60 (range for SYP is 0.54 – 0.65, and the hickory is more than that), the weight is: (5 cu. ft.)(62.4 lbs/cu. ft.)(0.60) = 187 lbs So, the wood alone is about 190 lbs. Factor in the weight of the vise hardware and the many metal...
Previously, I had run out of time to complete the tail vise on my workbench: This weekend I finally got the time to remedy that situation. I started off by routing the dog holes in one of the boards, then gluing up the leg vise block. The dog holes are spaced at 3” for versatility. Then I needed to figure out what to remove for the various pieces of the vise hardware. Some time was spent with the adjustable square to figure out the recess locations. Note: the measureme...
I finally got some shop time this weekend and had a chance to complete my leg vise. After my last building session, I had left it basically functional, but lacking a couple bells and whistles to make it really nice. The first addition was a guide wheel on the underside of the parallel guide. I bought another plastic wheel from Woodcraft and mounted it below the guide. It looks like it could become an ankle biter, but I haven’t run into any problems yet. It’s only pock...
My new workbench is finally coming together. Follow the blog link on my site to view images and information. The bench is Cherry and Maple and will feature a chest of drawers on the front with 3 cabinets on the rear. Well it has been some time since I have posted. I’ve been working on several projects for my customers and managed to sneak in some time on the workbench. I have quite a bit more work to do to complete the bench. But it is at least in a usable form and I’m enjoying it already....
Scandinavian workbench restoreOne legged dead man walking… Ok some awful undertones in that name…Actually it is just a simple dead man for the new old workbench. Just a long piece of wood, not sure but think teak. Marking the center line. Drilling holes for every two inch or five cm. And a little dowel that fits the holes with a cross dowel that makes it easy to pull out. Use the end vice to hold it. Get the idea? Now it is just to use it.I udsed it for pla...
Scandinavian workbench restoreMaking bench dogs. Time for bench dogs, the show must go on… First was to cut three pieces of wood into the right size.The bench dog holes total size and the length I choose to be app double the thickness of the bench top. On the left you see the only dog that came with the bench… I guess this dog cant bark a lot…So time to make some marking, now the shape comes and I simply follow the measures of the dog holes in the bench top. This time I use ...
Scandinavian workbench restoreFixing the front vice. This part is the repair of the front vice and yes making it run smooth as a dream.(Some call the front vice a face vice). We are back at the bench, now with hold fast and more or less ready to use.But my front vice is missing it’s pressure plate. The really old benches did not have one of these but mine has the slide for it so it will be replaced. Here again you can see the underneath how it is really just a clamp attached to the t...
Last weekend I hit the shed pretty hard. I cleared out a lot of old crap and took it to be donated or thrown away. Then I built my first work bench out of the 4×4s and other scrap wood I scored from work. It is a really simple design that I saw on Stevin’s YouTube channel wood working for mere mortals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQWY7Pi4v-M&feature=youtube_gdata_player I like how simple it is. I built it in a couple hours or so, and I like the flexibility that I can b...
Hello. Its been 6 months since I finished my bench and I have spent over 1000 hours on it. Now that I have gotten a good feel for how the bench works and its ups and downs I thought I would write an update on it. To start I’ll mention the modifications I made. The first was to add leather to the pads on the hold fasts. With leather I no longer need to place scrap wood between the work pieces and the hold fasts to prevent denting. If you have hold fasts (which you should) I would r...
I’ve been “done” with this project for nearly two weeks at this point, but I feel I should close this out. Along with the bench, I felt the need to showcase some of my favorite tools. I plan to update this blog with some of the uses for the gap that I can come up with…
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries