Hello. I am now working on the base for my workbench. I have changed some of the design details since my first concept, but not by much. The main difference is that the two legs on the Roubo side of the bench have tenons that will go into the bench top. The base was going to attach to the top the way most trestle bases do with bullet dowels, but then I realized that when I use the leg vise, all the pressure will be placed on the dowels! So I redesigned the front legs so that they have a tenon...
Hello. I have now finished the tail vise, and today I had acually started work on the base. After I had got the dovetails for the tailvise fit and the pins on the guide rod I cut out the place for the pins to be inserted in the vise assembly. I then started work on getting the notches cut in the guide blocks for the sliding parts. Here you can see the guide rod in place, with the one guide block attached to the end cap with a notch for the guide rod to slide through aswell as a small notch...
Ah the pith. That very core of the tree, that for some reason, is remarkably unstable in use as lumber. The inclusion of the pith in some of the beams I have obtained all but ruins an otherwise solid thick chunk of wood. It really pithes me off. All kidding aside. I can probably still make some good use out of these beams, even the ones with the pith in them, with some thought into my cuts. I was contacted last week by an old woodworking acquaintance, Maxwell. He told me he saw my b...
I just picked up what appears to be an earlier version of a Sjobergs model 1660 http://www.rlarson.com/Product/sjoberg/index.html bench. Because I want storage & prefer it to be heavier, (it’s a nice bench, but pretty light weight) I plan on making a cabinet insert similar to the one they offer. Since no instructions came with it, I have a question for any Sjoberg owners. I know what the bench dog holes and hold down holes are, but there are 2 – 1 1/4” steel tube lined ...
So there it is, my first serious woordworking project! The plan is to buid a small but sturdy workbench from a laminated wood countertop, not unlike Kenneth's.I can dedicate some permanent room to mine in my living room, so it will probably be a little bigger, heavier and less quickly breakable down. I also intend to put some time into nice joinery and finishing, since it will be a visible piece of furniture, but that will depend on how I manage the big things (this will be my first chisel...
My brother and his wife have been visiting from Winnipeg the last couple of days mainly to see their niece and nephew :-) but also to celebrate my birthday a couple of days early. My brother (enabling my tool addiction) gave me the large Lee Valley bench vise ( http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?c=&cat=1,41659,41661&p=31137\). Knowing the Jenn gives them an update on what is currently on my wish list at LV, I consider that her telling Bill that the vise was a good gift is li...
Slowly plodding along. I was out of town for almost the entire month of December so not much has been done. However, I did manage to finally get the bottom shelf installed correctly. My cuts were a bit too long so I ended up touching up the boards with a low angle block plane and then just screwing them in place. In addition to a storage area, the shelf also serves to hold ballast. You see, the original design of this bench was almost twice as large. However, in order to fit it into...
Since I got the top basically put together, it was time to worry about attaching a tool rail and leveling the bench. I constructed the levelers from four hockey pucks. I drilled a recess in them and epoxied in a bolt by the head. I then drilled a matching recess in each leg and epoxied a nut in each leg. By spinning the hockey puck the bolt will move in and out, helping to level the bench. To add stability to the system I also added a washer to the bolt head and epoxied that to t...
Now that I have my base built, it is time to start on the top of the workbench. To do so, I decided to go with a glue-up of 2×4s cut in half. In the end my top should be 48” long and about 30” wide. Here are some initial pieces to show you the scale: To build the pieces, I cut a douglas fir 2×4 in half, then hand-planed it to remove the rounded corners. I used my number 5 jack plane to remove material and my number 6 to smooth it out. I occasi...
Now that the end assemblies are finished, it’s time to see about getting the stretchers rigged up. They use a home-made bed bolt system that consists of a bolt that goes through the leg and into the stretcher where you make a mortise to receive a nut. In retrospect I should have just ordered bed bolts from Highland Woodworking. For more info on bed bolt joints, see this Fine Woodworking article. Here you can see the mortises and the nuts that went into them. I used a forstner bit...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1292 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1314 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries